Manual lenses on A7 Mk 2

I can't seem to make Focus Assist work with non-Sony lens. The error message says "Invalid because lens not attached. Attach the lens properly."  Apparently the body wants an input thru the electrical contacts which seems illogical and defeats the stated value of the Alpha cameras in adapting to manual lenses such as Nikon (my choice) or Canon.

Make sure you have latest FM. 

Earlier version required that you choose the MF-with-assist

while a native lens was mounted, and only THEN could you 

mount an adapted lens and "inherit" the settings engaged

while the native lens was in place.

Weird, huh ? I have my own Sony FM focusing problem with 

the A6000. Sony needs to put prototypes or beta production

in more users hands before launching their products. 

`

Did you change the menu setting that allows release without lens ?

If not this is why you are getting the message

Then you will need to modify settings to your liking such as Focus peaking and how to program the focusing magnifier to engage when you want to focus.

If "FM" means firmware, the camera was purchased in late December of 2014 and immediately connected  to the Sony mothernest for training etc.

Yes, body is set to Release Without Lens

Focus Assist works with kit lens either by turning the focus ring or by pressing the factory default "C" button.  Fails with any of my manual lenses which is really disappointing and defeats the idea of easy use with non-Sony lenses. If I were a cynic I'd say Sony designed it this way with an evil purpose in mind.

Guest all8

ASAIK "Focus Assist" only works with Lenses which communicate with the body, and perhaps only those for E-Mount(?). There is no other way for the body to know that focus is being adjusted other than some kind of Lens/Adapter communication.

For other Legacy lenses you can assign "Focus Settings" to a Cx button, when in MF mode (either by Lens type or theAF/MF toggle, this will activate the Zoom. I use C2.

Sounds like you still need to update your firmware.  I use manual lenses all the time without electric contacts and focus assist works just fine. ver 1.21 is the latest version. You can check this in menu, tool box, screen 6, version. 

Not sure what I did but the problem is fixed and thanks to you all!! I did find my firmware was behind the times so updated it to latest which is 1.20. Also checked various menu settings following the suggestion by laufangpi that it could be the camera was locked into AEL mode instead of AF/MF mode. Whatever, it now works again.  I say  "again", because my memory says this function did work when I first read thru the "Unofficial but Quintessential Guide" and tried all the toys.