• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jmac2358

jmac2358

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:55 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

custom aspect ratios...would be an amazing thing. Every job is different and every layout is different... seems that with an electronic viewfinder we should be able to have this...

lets start the conversation...

#2 oronet commander

oronet commander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationValencia, Spain

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:45 AM

Even if no custom ratios are allowed, more options should be available. 3:2 and 16:9 in my A7RII are a joke. I also want 4:3, 5:4, 7:6 and 1:1 at least

• Danny Burk likes this

#3 Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:16 AM

I would prefer an overlay mask on screen with different aspects. The overlay would let you compose for unusual formats but the raw file would be full 3:2. Then you can crop in post. It's a bit like the old focusing plates with markings for different film formats. It's quite hard to compose by eye without format markings.
  • oronet commander and Danny Burk like this

#4 LiveShots

LiveShots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:21 PM

I would prefer an overlay mask on screen with different aspects. The overlay would let you compose for unusual formats but the raw file would be full 3:2. Then you can crop in post. It's a bit like the old focusing plates with markings for different film formats. It's quite hard to compose by eye without format markings.

Agreed; Should be easy to do with a firmware update, it could work the same way as the 'rule of thirds' grid, just with different sizes.

#5 Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:48 PM

Yeah, it would be so simple to do in firmware on a mirrorless camera. I did a fast google and found that movie cameras have overlay frame guides, both presets and custom. You can even set the transparency of the look-around area.

Agreed; Should be easy to do with a firmware update, it could work the same way as the 'rule of thirds' grid, just with different sizes.

#6 Danny Burk

Danny Burk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 11:47 PM

Agreed - when will Sony ever implement this feature? It would be simple - even their little RX100V has 3:4 and 1:1 in addition to 3:2 and 16:9.I was hoping that the A7RIII would include it, but no....I would have bought it if so, but I'm sticking to my A7RII for now.

Fuji's GFX50S has the whole range of ratios, including panoramic. If Sony hasn't done something by then, the upcoming Fuji 100 MP model is sounding better all the time. :)

#7 Username

Username

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:46 AM

`  

Apparently, via scammer marketing and 

weasel worded descriptions, I could sell 

a case of grease pencils, one at a time, 

and retire to Malibu. 

#8 slackercruster

slackercruster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:18 AM

Even if no custom ratios are allowed, more options should be available. 3:2 and 16:9 in my A7RII are a joke. I also want 4:3, 5:4, 7:6 and 1:1 at least

Yes, I was shocked when I got mine. My ancient Fuji had tons of aspect ratios. Someone fudged up at Sony.

#9 slackercruster

slackercruster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:19 AM

I just would like a 1:1. I will use gaffers tape.

#10 mrmalkovich

mrmalkovich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:12 PM

Totally agree. 

I really do not understand why Sony doesn't get free aspect ratio choices into a software update. It seems they are creating more camera models than software updates at all.

to choose common aspect ratios would be perfect to add some artistic freedom.

I used to shoot film with a 6x6 film camera. As I thought Sony is the pioneer in digital photography and they are doing a great technical job I am very much disappointed that they struggle with some easy, but great artistic features.

I would love to have more choises of aspect ratios.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aspect ratio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

New Members Welcome!

Not yet registered? Really?

Registration is free and takes only a few minutes.

After the free registration you can discuss with members from all over the world, put questions and present your images.

We are looking forward to you!

Admin Andreas und Sony Alpha Forum Team

Register now! X