• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jmac2358

jmac2358

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:55 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

custom aspect ratios...would be an amazing thing. Every job is different and every layout is different... seems that with an electronic viewfinder we should be able to have this...

lets start the conversation...

#2 oronet commander

oronet commander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationValencia, Spain

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:45 AM

Even if no custom ratios are allowed, more options should be available. 3:2 and 16:9 in my A7RII are a joke. I also want 4:3, 5:4, 7:6 and 1:1 at least

#3 Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:16 AM

I would prefer an overlay mask on screen with different aspects. The overlay would let you compose for unusual formats but the raw file would be full 3:2. Then you can crop in post. It's a bit like the old focusing plates with markings for different film formats. It's quite hard to compose by eye without format markings.
  • oronet commander likes this

#4 LiveShots

LiveShots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:21 PM

I would prefer an overlay mask on screen with different aspects. The overlay would let you compose for unusual formats but the raw file would be full 3:2. Then you can crop in post. It's a bit like the old focusing plates with markings for different film formats. It's quite hard to compose by eye without format markings.

Agreed; Should be easy to do with a firmware update, it could work the same way as the 'rule of thirds' grid, just with different sizes.

#5 Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:48 PM

Yeah, it would be so simple to do in firmware on a mirrorless camera. I did a fast google and found that movie cameras have overlay frame guides, both presets and custom. You can even set the transparency of the look-around area.

Agreed; Should be easy to do with a firmware update, it could work the same way as the 'rule of thirds' grid, just with different sizes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aspect ratio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

New Members Welcome!

Not yet registered? Really?

Registration is free and takes only a few minutes.

After the free registration you can discuss with members from all over the world, put questions and present your images.

We are looking forward to you!

Admin Andreas und Sony Alpha Forum Team

Register now! X