• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 gruesomeflowers

gruesomeflowers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:31 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

My question is how to set up the A7II so that the viewed image and the exposed one match. I've tried setting Live View on and off, and so far, best is simply shooting an image and adjusting accordingly.

Mel

Did you ever figure out the issue with this? I received my adapter yesterday and as far as i can tell the focus works ok, but everything appears to be way over exposed..or too dark in live view..
Thanks.

#42 KlausH

KlausH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationRhein-Main Area, Germany

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:35 AM

I got my Techart Adapter two weeks ago. Unfortunately, the documentation is very poor. The first images were totally overexposed. It is not documented that it is necessary to set the aperture on the camera with the rear dial to F2 and use only the aperture ring on the lens to set the f-stop.

I also wished there would be more focal length settings. The lenses I use are Voigtländer 15mm F4.5 III, Heliar 40mm F2.8, Zeiss Tele-Tessar 4/85, Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/100 ZF.2 and Zeiss Apo-Sonnar 2/135 ZF.2. There is no possibility to set the adapter to 40, 85 or 100mm and with 135mm you lose AF. The ZF.2 lenses require an additional Nikon F to Leica M adapter. They work fine, albeit the AF is rather slow but very exact.

Klaus

#43 MelSnyder

MelSnyder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:58 AM

Did you ever figure out the issue with this? I received my adapter yesterday and as far as i can tell the focus works ok, but everything appears to be way over exposed..or too dark in live view..
Thanks.

Sorry to be so late in responding...

YES. Use only the A (aperture mode) for all lens settings, and set the gear icon manu #3 to Live View On.

#44 MelSnyder

MelSnyder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:03 AM

I got my Techart Adapter two weeks ago. Unfortunately, the documentation is very poor. The first images were totally overexposed. It is not documented that it is necessary to set the aperture on the camera with the rear dial to F2 and use only the aperture ring on the lens to set the f-stop.

I also wished there would be more focal length settings. The lenses I use are Voigtländer 15mm F4.5 III, Heliar 40mm F2.8, Zeiss Tele-Tessar 4/85, Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/100 ZF.2 and Zeiss Apo-Sonnar 2/135 ZF.2. There is no possibility to set the adapter to 40, 85 or 100mm and with 135mm you lose AF. The ZF.2 lenses require an additional Nikon F to Leica M adapter. They work fine, albeit the AF is rather slow but very exact.

Klaus

If you are having AF issues with 135mm lenses...

1. Just set it to F25 (50mm setting). click, and re-set aperture in EVF to f2. Won't report 135mm but it will let you shoot AF.

2. Realize that it can take a long time for the adapter to focus from infinity to closeup with a 135mm lens. Better to rough-focus and then allow the TechArt to focus the last bit.

3. Always use A mode, and with Live View set to On

#45 KlausH

KlausH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationRhein-Main Area, Germany

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:26 PM

If you are having AF issues with 135mm lenses...

1. Just set it to F25 (50mm setting). click, and re-set aperture in EVF to f2. Won't report 135mm but it will let you shoot AF.

2. Realize that it can take a long time for the adapter to focus from infinity to closeup with a 135mm lens. Better to rough-focus and then allow the TechArt to focus the last bit.

3. Always use A mode, and with Live View set to On

Yes, you have to set the adapter to a different focal length when using a 135mm lens. When set to 135mm you only get MF.

In addition, you have to set image stabilization in manual mode and the focal length for IBIS to 135mm. In auto mode the stabilization will use the (wrong) value the adapter was set to. Wouldn't it be much easier for us if the Techart adapter could read the focal length IBIS was set to and put it in the Exif data? Even better, why doesn't Sony write the IBIS focal length into the Exif data?

#46 JimmyD

JimmyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:28 PM

After you set the focal length of your lens based on the chart provided in the documentation, just set the aperture electronically on the camera to f/2, set the focus mode to flexible spot small, on the lens set focus to infinity (might need to adjust if you are focusing on near object) and go. Focus will be achieved the fastest with your lens wide open, but in decent light with a 50mm or wider lens focus is fast and accurate even at f/8. I have been shooting a lot with my Leica 50mm Summicron and Zeiss ZM 85mm f/4, and focus has been quick and accurate! I have also been using the Techart Minolta MD to Lecia M and Canon FD to Leica M adapters in concert with the Techart adapter to achieve auto focus with older Minolta and Canon legacy 35mm glass, and these work great as well, at least at wide apertures. For example, the Minolta MD 58mm f/1.2 "bokeh monster" . . . still is!!! Although it is a bit "dreamy" as it always has been at f/1.2, at f/2 it is sharp with fantastic bokeh.

#47 JimmyD

JimmyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:34 PM

Update to my above post: with the very positive experience using the Techart adapter with the Leica 50mm Summicron and the Leica ZM 85mm f/4, I have expanded my M mount collection to include the Zeiss ZM 50mm f/1.5 and the Zeiss ZM 35mm f/1.4, both of which work extremely will with the adapter on my A7Rii.  Zeiss intentionally makes the 50 1.5 to render like an old style lens: not ultra sharp with a bit of a classic dreamy look wide open, but sharp with wonderful bokeh (IMHO) stopped down to f/2.The ZM 35mm f/1.4, again IMHO, lives up to its reputation as being the best 35mm 1.4 from anyone ever.Due to the well-documented issues with wide angle rangefinder lenses due to the thick Sony sensor, the corners are soft wide open; no magenta cast or horrendous corner smearing issues, just soft wide open and gradually gets better until f8 where crners are sharp.And really nice rendering with "3D pop" and wonderful bokeh.And the recent firmware version 5 release from Techart makes the autofocus even more responsive than before!    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

New Members Welcome!

Not yet registered? Really?

Registration is free and takes only a few minutes.

After the free registration you can discuss with members from all over the world, put questions and present your images.

We are looking forward to you!

Admin Andreas und Sony Alpha Forum Team

Register now! X