Techart Leica M to Sony Autofocus adapter & shipping

I ordered the Techart Leica M to Sony autofocus adapter with the promise that they would ship by the end of March.

Well that has come and gone.

I am really frustrated at the poor professionalism of the company and their seemingly 'lack of care' of us the customers.

A simple note/email would have made me feel like they are interested in me, not just my $350. they now have of mine.

That would have gone a long way.

Yes, I know it's available for pre-order for $400 elsewhere.

Anybody out there order one?  Did anyone receive theirs? if so, is it just like Steve Huffs version?

Thanks for any group therapy banter.

Michael  

Fully understand your disgust. I ordered two of them at $350 so I'm twice as pissed. :angry:  

Being in sales, this is a typical situation however if this commitment is their word of honor it should probably tell you a little bit about the company.  And yes, an email to the customers (who helped fund this project) should be provided if their initial commitment was running behind schedule and when we can expect to see product.

If not in March, then when?

I am intresting in this adaptor, Does it work with voigtlander lenses ? Could you please put the link to buy it

Thank you

Yes it works fine with Voigtlander lenses.

There are many videos on line testing all kinds of M mount lenses.  No issues.

FYI the company responded to a direct email I sent them.  They shipped approx 800 orders. I am order #905 and now claim they will ship in April.  

Here it is ....

http://techartpro.com

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1239028&gclid=CjwKEAjwlq24BRDMjdK7g8mD6BASJABBl8n3fYNvl5dqhTziTnJaArLsGoX6bH80miIJhmWLi_-DNhoC1Qbw_wcB&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C52934714882%2C&A=details&Q=

Steve Huff's review....

• 2 weeks later...

As noted I had ordered two of these; one from TechArt when released on March 9th and the second from BH a few days later. I've got four Leica lenses  and hoped to permanently place just two of these on my lenses.

I received the first one last week from TechArt. Very disappointing to start with so I've cancelled the second one from BH.   

For starters, there was a ton of work put into this design and I very much appreciate all the effort but not at a cost of $350.  Here are the issues thus far:

1. Hunts for focus even in high contrast areas. I can manually focus faster.

2. I shot an image of a white textured wall and got a dark ring clearly visible in the image. I removed the TechArt adapter and the ring was gone. Have no idea what this is but its unacceptable.

I'll contact TechArt with these concerns and either have them replace it or refund it.

For those that are wondering, I was using a Leica Summicron 50, Summilux 35, Summarit 75 and Summicron 90.

If I still have the images on my SD card, I'll post them. If not, I can re-shoot and post.

Best of luck to others.

Did you set lens to infinity first? Did you take photos of other subjects besides a white wall, and see this dark ring? How long did the lens take to focus? 1-2 seconds? 2-3 seconds? Just trying to understand why Steve Huff had better experience. Thanks.

markphoto4u

Yes it works fine with Voigtlander lenses.

There are many videos on line testing all kinds of M mount lenses.  No issues.

FYI the company responded to a direct email I sent them.  They shipped approx 800 orders. I am order #905 and now claim they will ship in April.  

Here it is ....

http://techartpro.com

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1239028&gclid=CjwKEAjwlq24BRDMjdK7g8mD6BASJABBl8n3fYNvl5dqhTziTnJaArLsGoX6bH80miIJhmWLi_-DNhoC1Qbw_wcB&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C52934714882%2C&A=details&Q=

Steve Huff's review....

Actually I went to the B&H Store last week since I happened to be in New York. I talked to two of the (very knowledgeable) salespeople. Neither had ever heard of the adapter nor did they find and indication that B&H ever had it...

As noted I had ordered two of these; one from TechArt when released on March 9th and the second from BH a few days later. I've got four Leica lenses  and hoped to permanently place just two of these on my lenses.

I received the first one last week from TechArt. Very disappointing to start with so I've cancelled the second one from BH.   

For starters, there was a ton of work put into this design and I very much appreciate all the effort but not at a cost of $350.  Here are the issues thus far:

2. I shot an image of a white textured wall and got a dark ring clearly visible in the image. I removed the TechArt adapter and the ring was gone. Have no idea what this is but its unacceptable.

I'll contact TechArt with these concerns and either have them replace it or refund it.

For those that are wondering, I was using a Leica Summicron 50, Summilux 35, Summarit 75 and Summicron 90.

If I still have the images on my SD card, I'll post them. If not, I can re-shoot and post.

Best of luck to others.

Did you manage to get the adapter to work properly in the meantime? Conceptually - I find it a fascinating product - I am just weary of just dishing out over 400 € (including the CONTAX adapter) without having seen it...

I think it's very challenging to construct anything like this and make it really fast. After all you are moving the whole lens with a very small motor. AF lenses are constructed to make focusing as effortless for it's motors as possible – with all the negative consequences like more internal play and not so pleasing manual focus.

OTOH, I'm quite happy with the Techart adapter for my Contax G lenses, which were made for AF. They act as fast as on the original camera, maybe even a tad faster, and they don't hunt on the A7R II under reasonable lighting. So it seems the company is doing their best, but the universal AF mount might be asking too much.

After multiple notes in every way I could tell the people at Tech art to cancel my order because B&H

already shipped my other order they been notified me that it shipped already and I couldn't cancel my order

So now I have two of them shipping to me simultaneously. Pretty miserable experience all around. Poor communication for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's very challenging to construct anything like this and make it really

fast. After all you are moving the whole lens with a very small motor. ..........

Moving the whole lens is crude. Nikon had a 1.6X TC whose internal

elements could shift via communication from an AF Nikon body. This

resulted in AF from MF lens. There's no reason the TC hasta be 1/6X.

It could be 1.3X or even 1.0X, the latter being simply a "relay optic".

Some users would shun such a system as being too meddlesome of

the optical formula of the original lens. Chakkun Asseh Goo.

I've been out of town on a shoot for 3 weeks and come home to BOTH of my delivered Techart Pro orders so I am selling one of them on ebay.

Works great on the Sony A7II and A7RII  !!

Here's the one for sale if you like....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TECHART-PRO-LEICA-M-to-SONY-E-MOUNT-AUTOFOCUS-ADAPTER-NEW-/152096205399?

Did you set lens to infinity first? Did you take photos of other subjects besides a white wall, and see this dark ring? How long did the lens take to focus? 1-2 seconds? 2-3 seconds? Just trying to understand why Steve Huff had better experience. Thanks.

markphoto4u

Actually, Infinity focus is not required if you've read through the manufacturers information however I've done both infinity and in between.  I had contacted Techart and they have yet to reply. I wrote on their Facebook page today about this problem and we'll see if I get a reply.

To add to the issue, they note there is a firmware update available, 2.0, if after April 15th, ?, not sure if this is the manufactured date or what.  Where would find a date?  I asked them on their FB page how do you know what firmware version you have in order to update what you've got.  (just for your information, my serial number is 000623).

Secondly, their instructions how to install the update tells you to set your aperture to F90, not F9, release the shutter and then off the camera. THEN, be sure your smartphone bluetooth is on and download the firmware. Sorry, but there is no bluetooth signal coming from the adapter if the smartphone is turned off. I've tried every possible way and I've yet to get a connection on my phone with their app and the adapter. Can't figure where the problem lies.

Totally disgusted.

Not to completely heave this adapter into the next stratosphere, it does work on occasion, though not on a consistent basis. It will hunt at times and just never lock on.  As noted by others, it is a unique step forward to take a MF lens and allow it to AF however, this one needs an update to 3.0 or someone else needs to perfect their design.  This is $350 wasted IMO.

I need help with the TechArt!

First of all...IT WORKS! Tested lenses lenses from 15mm Series III CV to 90mm Tele-Elmarit - and it focuses perfectly. Not instantaneous, but less than a half second.

What is not at all clear from the little instruction sheet: How to set my A7II - specifically

1. It appears one should set the camera in M mode, AF-S, Live view display at "Setting mode off"- is that correct? This was a trial and error guess. With setting mode on, the EVF is black.

2. You adjust the exposure with the the ISO, camera shutter speed and lens aperture on the lens - right?

Here's the challenge: Without the histogram, it's really hard to see any setting effects without shooting and adjusting the aperture/shutter speed based on the image. I can't figure out how to set the camera so that the EVF image matches what I will see in the shot image.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

(PS - tried to download the manual but found no hot link on the download link on the web page.

Best of luck to others.

Hmmm. I got mine from B&H and it consistently hit focus outdoors on a flat-lighting day, and in my living room, with my CV 15mm III, pre-aspheric 35mm f1.4 Summilux, 50mm f2 Summicron and 90mm f2.8 Tele-Elmarit. It took about a half-second for focus from closest to distance, much less once the lens was at distance.

My question is how to set up the A7II so that the viewed image and the exposed one match. I've tried setting Live View on and off, and so far, best is simply shooting an image and adjusting accordingly.

Waiting for an LTM to M adapter for my Canon 135mm f3.5, which stunned me with its sharpness and contrast, even wide open.

Mel

Moving the whole lens is crude. Nikon had a 1.6X TC whose internal

elements could shift via communication from an AF Nikon body. This

resulted in AF from MF lens. There's no reason the TC hasta be 1/6X.

It could be 1.3X or even 1.0X, the latter being simply a "relay optic".

Some users would shun such a system as being too meddlesome of

the optical formula of the original lens. Chakkun Asseh Goo.

I'd rather not put any extra optical elements behind a well-designed lens. I've owned Nikon TCs and there was always optical losses. The TechArt solution is better, in my option. Perhaps "crude" - but works well.

Problem with 135mm lenses: My TechArt adapter focuses all but my 135mm lens.

It works perfectly with my CV 15mm Series III, 35mm f1.4 Summilux (even in near total darkness), 50mm f2 Summicron and 90mm f2.8 Tele-Elmarit. But neither of my two Canon 135mm LTM rangefinders (newer f3.5, older f4) function properly.

If I connect the 135mm lens, lens, set it to infinity, dial in F32 and fire one shot, it then focuses properly - for one more shot. Then, the adapter will not respond to a half-press or full press. It doesn't even attempt to focus.

Tried turning off the camera, removing the lens and battery, and re-attaching the lens and reinserted the battery. Still won't focus. If I switch to another lens, dial in the proper F number for that lens, the camera focuses that other lens properly. If I then re-attach the 135, set F32, and shoot a test shot it sets up properly, and properly focuses one shot again. Then it refuses to focus the next image.

Anyone know of any solutions? Could the F number be totally wrong for a 135mm lens?

HELP!

Thanks, Mel

Problem with 135mm lenses: My TechArt adapter focuses all but my 135mm lens.

It works perfectly with my CV 15mm Series III, 35mm f1.4 Summilux (even in near total darkness), 50mm f2 Summicron and 90mm f2.8 Tele-Elmarit. But neither of my two Canon 135mm LTM rangefinders (newer f3.5, older f4) function properly.

If I connect the 135mm lens, lens, set it to infinity, dial in F32 and fire one shot, it then focuses properly - for one more shot. Then, the adapter will not respond to a half-press or full press. It doesn't even attempt to focus.

Tried turning off the camera, removing the lens and battery, and re-attaching the lens and reinserted the battery. Still won't focus. If I switch to another lens, dial in the proper F number for that lens, the camera focuses that other lens properly. If I then re-attach the 135, set F32, and shoot a test shot it sets up properly, and properly focuses one shot again. Then it refuses to focus the next image.

Anyone know of any solutions? Could the F number be totally wrong for a 135mm lens?

HELP!

Thanks, Mel

Just for my education - why would you try f32? Have you tried any other f-stops?

Also have you tried to focus roughly and leave the fine focussing to the adapter? This would work with the CONTAX AX, which was the camera that achieved AF with MF lenses years ago based on similar ideas as the Techart is now using

Got mine yesterday from B&H and i'm in love with it. Super fast and accurate but trying to focus into infinity when the lens in not caused a little bit of a freak out. Restarting the camera got it back to working.