just thinking about durability of newer alpha camera's

I will admit i do love the sony alpha cameras for many reasons, and coming from shooting with Nikon higher end bodies expect quality in my files. Having said that i still find myself at times wondering if my sony will turn on each time i get it out. Let me explain, and i have already said i love shooting with them for reasons of light weight , smaller footprint, EVF, and wifi, but at times when the camera is turned off and in my camera bag i will get it out to start a shoot and turn it on only to have to wait for a couple of seconds while it does whatever its doing, its like i woke it up from a long nap or someting and it has to gather its thoughts before it knows what its supposed to do LOL.... Seriously thats the one thing about the sony well my a6xxx series and a7rii , they take such great shots but i just worry as will they last and be durable like im used to having with my Nikons?

Whats your thought on durability? had any glitches , weird instances or all been good so far?

Pfitskie, well not just start up time but quirky things that seems to happen on the inside of the camera! Like another time i had just started shooting and after about 5 or six images the camera just froze with a blurred picture of the last shot i took on the screen and just sat there and wouldn't respond to anything except removing the battery and rebooting...

Guess durability isn't just on the outside! but can be inside too!!

Don't bag the camera at all. Even if it DOES take a whopping 2 life-threatening seconds to boot it probably requires a minimum 5 seconds just to free it from the bag so actually you'd really be 3 seconds AHEAD by not bagging, paper OR plastic.

I've used 2 a6000s to shoot beach weddings in Hawaii and I've lost count of the number of times I've gotten salt spray, caught in the rain, dropped the cameras on the ground, in the sand, etc. Haven't had to send them in for repair even once.

Not to scare you too much, but I'm about to move into my third a7r2 body. I tend to go hard on my gear, so I know I'm not typical, but they haven't really been able to withstand the kind of punishment that my Sony DSLR would have brushed off, as I'm sure a premium Nikon would as well.  They're more quirky and fragile, no doubt, but you've got to baby them a bit compared to the battle-ready DSLR's. 

Guest Colin Scott Johnson

They scratch really easy and that's my biggest complaint.

I've managed to rub the paint away from the corners of 3 bodies now by having them on a sling :(

Thanks for the imput guy's.

Yeah i really love shooting with them but haven't bought but just two lenses for them for now. My thinking is i don't want to invest in a ton of glass for them until i see if they can hang with me as my nikons did. Time will tell but so far i have to say i haven't had any major things only quirks but i will see after a little abuse and if they hang i will buy a few more lenses and if they dissapoint me, well i can easily sell the small amount of glass i have and move back to the heavy weights but trusty dslr LOL...

I've used 2 a6000s to shoot beach weddings in Hawaii and I've lost count of the number of times I've gotten salt spray, caught in the rain, dropped the cameras on the ground, in the sand, etc. Haven't had to send them in for repair even once.

Any condensation or fogging problems?