playmemories install apps work around

This is apparently an omen of what to expect from the apps, once you do manage to download them. Sorry for the sarcasm.

Btw, did you read Playmemories'  (Sony's) license terms and conditions? If so, then I wonder why you would still want to agree to those and proceed with trying to install their apps regardless.

Apart from the "smart remote" app you don't miss much, most of the apps were aimed at point and shooters.  It is a pity Sony did away with the possibility, but perhaps if we all complain enough, in-camera apps will return via an update.

The current situation of remote handling the a7riii sucks as you cannot focus with the phone app.

• 5 months later...

now have A7III and miss the Smart Remote Control and Touchless Shutter apps I used on my a6500. Touchless Shutter was great for macro shots and Smart. Remote control was more robust than the one now on the A7III. Smart Remote Control was useful for flower shots. Set up on tripod, compose and use smartphone to focus, change shutter, etc. No crouching down to get shot. Ok Wouldn’t need to implement Playmemories downloads. Seems it could come in a firmware update.