Sign in to follow this  
Mextreme

A6000 bricked after apk install

Hello, anyone knows how to unbrick an a6000? I installed an apk, it installed correctly but after open it the camera's screen blackout, after restart it the camera don't let me access the menu, after 30 seconds shows a message "writing to the memory card was not completed correctly. recover data?" show enter or cancel buttons, but the message shows for a second and the camera seems to reset.

anyone knows some procedure to make a factory reset without entering the main camera menu? or how to reinstall the firmware?

I already tried all the following:

*Turn on the camera, press the Menu + Movi keys and turn off the camera. Do not release keys wait 30 seconds. Then turn it back on.

*Turn off the camera, remove the battery, wait 30 seconds + (2-3 seconds). Press Menu + Movi, insert the battery and turn off the camera. Wait 10 seconds, release the buttons, wait 30-40 seconds. Turn off the camera.

http://www.sonyalphaforum.com/topic/4062-a6000-buttons-and-dials-not-responding/

Thanks a lot

I don't know if this will help, but fyi I had my a6000 become a brick after I attempted to install a version update (to 3.3).  Everything failed to revitalize the camera until I attempted a reinstall using a PC instead of my Mac.  The camera miraculously came back to life.  Might be worth trying a version update and see what happens.

Thanks to both of you.

I tried also to take out the battery and pressing the buttons but didn't work.

@tinplater when I connect the camera to a windows PC it's not recognized, it seems that.

I was able to pass the error message that the camera cannot write to sd card but the behaivor is the same: after 30 to 40 seconds the display shows the camera mode but it lasts 1 second and then reboots, does this 3 times and then it shutdown.

I wonder if there are some option to push a firmware reinstall, maybe there is a Sony special sofrware tool.

I'll keep trying to bring my camera to life, I love my camera

I simply connected the camera to computer, went to the sony download site and hit download for the current firmware update.  That didn't work on my Mac, but when tried with a pc, viola!

I stored this thread for offline reference. 

It's hardly the first thread on the problem.  

I believe there should be a "sticky" in the 

"General Discussions" section where all 

queries and advices accumulate cuz this   

is a recurring, and very critical, concern. 

Thanks for your suggestions, I had tried with the original cable and others also but I had no luck.

The windows PC does not recognize the camera, I also tried with another PCs including one with linux but same result.

I noticed that after the 30 or 40 seconds when the camera is displaying the shooting mode the red led next to the battery compartment blinks constantly for 1 second and after that the camera restarts, this happens 3 times and then camera shutdown.

Sony should have a way to reinstall the firmware but I think this kind of tools is only provided to repair centers

Did you try removing the battery and the memory card then re-insert the battery, then insert a new memory card. I am wondering if something has corrupted the memory card which may cause the camera to get into a loop trying to read it.

Hello, yes I tried that multiple times; tried without card, with a different formated card, different battery, the blinking led shows only when the card is inserted.

Thanks