Zeiss Loxia 35/2 review

• 5 weeks later...

Great review. But I'm curious as to why specifically you didn't care for the 35mm 2.8. I'm thinking of buying this lens ao it would help my decision making. Thanks.

I think most people point to the fact that the 35/2.8 doesn't have a large enough aperture for many that like to shoot at as low of an ISO as possible. Many don't like the sample variations and "good copies" seem to be much more rare - or some have different standards. Many don't like how badly it vignettes wide open without corrections. Many feel it's very overpriced for the performance it gives. Many think that it's way too clinical in rendering. It's not offensive but it doesn't seem "Zeiss" enough.

Many are just happier with adapted options before the Loxia and 35 Distagon were released. I owned the 35/2.8 and quickly got rid of it and the 24-70. They aren't bad but I expected better performance based on first hand accounts and the price. I stuck with my Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton II and the Sigma Art 35/1.4 until my recent 35 Distagon purchase.