Sony E mount G 70 -300

A few months ago I had the opportunity, to test the FE 4,0 / 70-200 mm G OSS for a week. In my opinion a lens with a super power and good sharpness even wide open. Disturbed have me the quite high weight of well over 1,000 g, the conspicuous white color and a shaky lens hood! I did not keep it, therefore.

Since April 2016 I have the FE 4.5-5.6 / 70-300 G OSS on the A6300 in use. I love this combination! The lens is sharp, lighter than the FE 70-200, black and has a much longer range. The best part is the very low minimum focusing distance of 90 cm.

See my review from 01.05.2016 at "dyxum.com":

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/Sony-FE-70-300mm-F4.5-5.6-G-OSS_review1824.html

Actually I had the opportunity to try 2 copies of the 70-300G OSS recently I'm sad to report that NEITHER of them worked out in the end. Over at Fred Miranda's site you'll also note this has become a bit of a norm which is quite disturbing. The 1st copy I tried wowed me with sharpness until I shot it at 300mm trying to get sharp corners and sides. The right side was just not "perfection" stopped down or otherwise. The center and left side WERE. The 2nd copy which I prayed would provide me a sharp right side did in fact do that, however the left side was horrid. The focus speed on this new lens is great. Instant and accurate. The build was superb and the weight was IMHO actually a bit chunkier or heavier than the 70-200G f4 I sold to get it. I was so disappointed that sharp corners were simply not going to happen with this lens I re upped on a new 70-200G f4. I must have gotten even luckier or payback as this new copy of the 70-200G f4 is uncharacteristically sharp wide open at f4. By f5.6 I get sharp corners and if I'm shooting a distant landscape subject get a superbly completely IN focus entire frame at f8. The 70-300G OSS was incapable of this in particular especially at 300mm. So I'll stick with my proven formula for now. The plethora of decentered 70-300's over at Fred Miranda's site is appalling to say the least. I sure hope Sony get's their act together.

I just received my 70-300G OSS and love it. It is sharp and the build of the lens is excellent. I find it a little heavy but for the reach it has it is acceptable.  I had the 70-200Gf4 which I sold to get this lens. The weight is about the same and I now get to 300. I also tried the lens using APS-C/Super 35 mm on my Alpha 7R and it gave me a 450mm reach and an 18 MP image.

I'm sure everyone will feel differently about this, but frankly my results using the newer copy I got of the 70-200G f4 is bringing a greater benefit than the 300mm reach. I can crop and get better results at the corners than I could with the 70-300G's I tried. So to each their own I guess. At this point the only thing that would entice me is a 70-400G made for the E mount which just might happen some day.

I'm sure everyone will feel differently about this, but frankly my results using the newer copy I got of the 70-200G f4 is bringing a greater benefit than the 300mm reach. I can crop and get better results at the corners than I could with the 70-300G's I tried. So to each their own I guess. At this point the only thing that would entice me is a 70-400G made for the E mount which just might happen some day.

If you crop, don't you crop away the softness in the corners?  I cannot find myself in your comments about this new 70-300, my copy delivers sharpness from corner to corner, also in landscapes. Surprised you had 2 bad copies in a row.

What I'm here to say is that IF you were to use that 70-300G to take a pic of a landscape subject at least a distance of say 4 or 5 miles away, you WON"T be getting sharp corners at 300mm on that lens for a distantly focused subject. Closer in subjects are fine in that regard, but NOT far away. That is where the 70-200G continues to excel near or far, corners are sharp. Not so on the 70-300. If you wish to state otherwise lets see an example of what I described, a FAR away subject with sharp corners and sides all IN focus. Good luck with that..........

I agree with the experience and opinions of Reinhold_1, Lescatalpas, and pic-pop.  This is a very good lens, which sharp across the frame at all distances (at least up to 2 miles).  dcisive has had been very unlucky and received 2 bad copies of this lens or is seeing some none of the rest of us are.

I have to date seen absolutely NO evidence of sharp corners produced by this lens @300mm at long distances beyond your 2 mile range. I'd love to see proof of it but so far nobody has been able to produce any. I was able to get sharp images as well at distances below several miles, but NOT beyond that in the sides nor corners. Until I DO see evidence I'll stick by my comment.