A good way to compare the GM 24-70 f2.8 to other lenses

I moved over to my A7R ii a few months ago from my previous A mount set up and since then have been rebuilding my lens collection after finding that adapted A mount lenses weren't performing as well as I would have liked.

The first lens I got was the 24-70 f4, but then compared to the 55mm f1.8 and 90mm Macro, that i picked up later, the sharpness just wasn't there, small and versatile, yes, but just not quite the sharpness for a pixel peeper like me.

Once I managed to pick up the 70-200 f4 and a Batis 25mm, the 24-70 was surplus to requirements and so was sold. 

Last week I managed to get the new 18mm Batis and I'm now wondering whether the 25mm will see much use. The 18mm is so sharp and very easily cropped to the 25mm's equivalent, and if I wanted more zoom I could just switch to the 55mm.

What my lens collection is missing though is the versatility of a walk about lens that a 24-70 would give me and so I'm now considering that if I sold the 25mm Batis (its role now filled by the 18mm), whether the 24-70 GM would be a good replacement. I understand they are very different lenses (the 25mm batis and 24-70GM), size versatility, cost etc all come into it, but what I'd like to be able to do is see the same test shots side by side of the 25mm Batis and say the 24-70GM at 24mm. I would normally go to somewhere like DXO Mark, but they haven't tested the GM lens yet. Can anyone suggest any other sites that have these two lenses compared using the same testing methods, (and ideally the 55mm and 70-200 f4 too)?

I want to avoid selling my Batis 25mm and forking out loads for the GM, only to find that even with the extra weight and pain of changing lenses, that I wished I had kept the 25mm and just use that, the 55mm and 70-200, to fill the roll of the 24-70 GM as I end up feeling let down by it.

Any advice is welcomed.

Guy Mancuso made a detailed test about the 24-70 GM at GetDPI. He's and someone else point also on the Batis 25. Both are thrilled about the performance of the zoom at FL24.

I think his Batis has field curvature. Softer center, sharper corners :huh:

I think his Batis has field curvature. Softer center, sharper corners :huh:

I didn't read the test, because I'm not interested in the batis 25 nor the 24-70/2.8. But I know Guy makes a good work, that's why I linked it.

Thanks for the link Seb. It's certainly a detailed look at the lenses side by side, just the sort of thing i was looking for. it would be great if there was somewhere that ran tests across a number of the lenses in case there was any sample variation. 

It certainly makes the case for the GM lens though. now to decide what to do.....  :unsure:

Lens Rentals tested the 24-70 f/2.8 G Master.  They felt it was equal in quality to the Canon version (no small statement) and also had good (low) copy to copy variation.

Also, The Camera Store (Canada) did a video comparison test of the Sony, Nikon, Canon and Pentax versions.  They liked the Sony overall, but did have a few AF issues with it.

For what it is worth, I think the folks that hate the 24-70 f/4 might have a bad copy.  Mine does not seem that bad.  I pride myself in avoiding pixel peeping and concentrating on taking good images.  My Hoosier Pass image was with the 24-70 f/4 on a a7Rii.  

I have the 16-35 f/4, the 70-200 f/4 and the 55 f/1.8 so I have highly rated lenes for comparison.

Also, there is a great photo in the latest Outside magazine taken by Chris Burkard with the 24-70 f/4 on a a7Rii.  There apparently has been a lot of copy-to-copy variation.  If Sony / Zeiss ever come out with a version 2 of the 24-70 f/4 (with less copy-to-copy variation) I would consider it.  The f/2.8 is simply too big and heavy and requires an 82mm filter.  I left the Canon ecosystem to avoid large and heavy gear.

rdgeorge55, I agree with you 100%. I also have the 16-35 F4, and the 24-70 F4 as well as the 55F/1.8. I had the 70-200F4 but sold it recently and ordered the new 70-300 for the extra reach. I also left Canon to avoid the heavy gear. My camera bag now weighs about 10lbs and when traveling I  can now fit all  my gear in my Domke vest.