24-70mm f4 on A7RII Soft at the edges at 4F?

24-70mm f4 Sony/Ziess owners. I just ran some lens tests on my 24-70mm F4.  

Overall, I'm happy. It's a good lens, not stellar, however, the color, contrast lack of color aberrations are all excellent, better than a lot of my Canon and Nikon short teles in those areas actually. It's decently sharp too. I tend to shoot primes for paying work. However, I wanted a decent, lightweight walk around lens and I think this could be it.  

I got it on Amazon Prime so I have a couple more days to decide. 

Here's my question: Do other owners find it to distort at f4 towards the sides (at any focal length)?  Is this normal?  At f4.5 it's almost gone at f5 the distortion is gone.  To be honest, that's my only issue. If that's my only real issue did I get a decent copy?

I can attach some lens test shots if you want.

Thanks

Scott

Just got my 24-70 f4 today. Had been waiting for ages for the new 24-70 f2.8 to be announced only for it to be out of sensible price range. Not done a huge amount of testing yet, but have to concur that the lens is "alright". Nothing amazing, some corner softness, but a very usable focal length to get some decent shots.

Guest Peter Kelly

I have to disagree with the negative opinions, as mine is decent, and that had led me to a view on this over recent months.

As the lens can perform and many do say they have a decent copy, the lens itself cannot be 'crappy', but rather the assembly of a particular copy can be poor.

Given that there are also many that are displeased I wonder whether Sony (and Zeiss) have simply stretched the design a little far.

Possibly, by trying to keep it compact, it meant that the tolerances are minute, so manufacturing is extremely difficult and leads to this copy to copy variation we see.

Of course, there is another measure in this that is highlighted by the OP; that of corner softness.

Although that is clearly something which can be tested and measured, the perception of how important it is varies dramatically between photographers and the final use.

For instance, if you are a landscape photographer and covet detail throughout, such a flaw could be a disaster. On the other hand, someone who shoots almost exclusively portraits will barely notice soft corners and may, in fact, welcome them. After all, how many portraits do you see where the corners are deliberately softened and vignette introduced, even though they are faults?

Is the 24-70 a bad lens? Clearly, not of itself unless difficulty of manufacture is a measure, but only the buyer can decide if the lens he has is good for him.

another thing to keep in mind is that if you read enough camera lens reviews (I've read a LOT) is that almost all lenses have this issue to at least some degree. vignetting is often there until you hit f/8 on almost all my lenses, even my 70-200mm f/4. but this lens has more of it than usual if you believe the reviews.

and Peter Kelly, if Sony is having manufacturing issues, that's even WORSE. that would mean we can't trust them to make a solid product. I'm sorry when hundreds of people report the same problem I don't believe it's one or two bad apples. it's more likely that Sony's been manufacturing them properly but screwed the the initial design

Guest Peter Kelly

... it's more likely that Sony's been manufacturing them properly but screwed the the initial design

Isn't that precisely what I suggested?

Thanks for this info! Question is: is Sony that arrogant that they think people will buy our products anyhow ?? I am planning to buy an a6000. Is it an idea to buy the glass from Sigma?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

My copy of the 24-70mm is actually very good from about 28mm-70mm, and only shows the corner issue between 24-28mm. It improves stopped down, but is never critically sharp in those focal lengths in the corners.

On the other hand, this is a lens that has consistently performed well for me in the field, so I just shoot with it and don't worry much about the wide-end issues unless shooting brick walls. Which, I don't. Its advantages in weight and balance versus larger and heavier lenses matter to me.

Will