Cleaning Image Sensor A7II

joypoy

Guest Peter Kelly

Before using any wet process I would always try to remove dust with an Arctic Butterfly brush. I've always found them to be brilliant in 99.9% of times.

If you must resort to wet cleaning then, while they are expensive, I think it wisest to stick with the swabs made for the purpose and Eclipse fluid.

The trick is always to make sure you use the right quantity, though. Do not flood them, but be prepared to press a little more firmly than you might imagine. I have found that the handle should bend a little.

I wouldn't dismiss Q tips, but I feel they may be a touch too abrasive and, owing to their rounded profile, place too much pressure at a point, rather than spreading evenly, which may risk damaging the surface or coating of the sensor.

The other thing is you need to check the purity of any isopropanol. While it should be perfectly good, any impurities can lead to deposits, or even damage if they happen to be more aggressive solvents.

• 1 month later...

I also use the arctic butterfly. 9 out of 10 it does the job. But before you touch your sensor , make sure the spots are not caused by the lens, especially the glass on the mount side. If there is dust or dirt there, it shows the same as a sensor spot at a high f number.

Just came across a video that I think makes sense, for wet cleaning, it suggests that you run the cleaning mode but don't turn off the camera at the end, and then wet swipe...just to be clear, the camera has finished its internal cleaning mode, the one that shakes pretty hard for a second or so, but DO NOT turn the camera off at this point...why, because apparently, the sensor at the end of the cleaning mode cycle is "parked" and not floating, like it is when the camera is switched off. He correctly suggests that we shouldn't clean the sensor while its on and powered, whereas he's suggesting that the sensor is as I said locked, but not transmitting, that's why the screen is black at the end of the cycle? so you potentially get a better cleaning action, as the sensor is now rigid, but it's not powered with the inherent associated risks. I also like that I'm not potentially moving the sensor around where it ought not go if it's fixed as in this amended procedure. I'll definitely try this next time I do a clean and let you know how that goes.

I've cleaned my sensor a few times without issue as posted above, but have not tried this method, but it does make sense.

http://www.trijipi.com/download-video-JS1t7JcAt9w

Before using any wet process I would always try to remove dust with an Arctic Butterfly brush. I've always found them to be brilliant in 99.9% of times.

If you must resort to wet cleaning then, while they are expensive, I think it wisest to stick with the swabs made for the purpose and Eclipse fluid.

The trick is always to make sure you use the right quantity, though. Do not flood them, but be prepared to press a little more firmly than you might imagine. I have found that the handle should bend a little.

I wouldn't dismiss Q tips, but I feel they may be a touch too abrasive and, owing to their rounded profile, place too much pressure at a point, rather than spreading evenly, which may risk damaging the surface or coating of the sensor.

The other thing is you need to check the purity of any isopropanol. While it should be perfectly good, any impurities can lead to deposits, or even damage if they happen to be more aggressive solvents.

Yes I really love the Artic butterfly, it's was expensive but worth every penny.

sometime however you need to wet clean the sensor with wipes, Artic butterfly only removes dust not dried wet spots - salt water spots for instance.

I am reading this thread with interest as I need to clean my sensor for the first time on my Sony A7ii.  I was quite surprised at how dirty the sensor got, this being my first mirrorless camera. I am always extremely careful when changing lenses, but it got some dust spots that won't shake off with the camera cleaning mode.   I'm going to try the blower first, but I feel I may have to move to the swab.  The Arctic Butterfly is quite pricey, so I think I will try the swabs first.  Thanks for the tips.

Had to clean my sensor today after a few lens change-outs on the coast.  

Ran the Clean cycle on the camera, left it switched on after that, and wet cleaned.  No dramas.

Felt nice having a firm sensor under the swipe, rather than the mushy floating sensor. 

This thread is very useful.  I have a really dirty sensor after less than a year of use so I really need to clean the sensor.

One caution however.  USE ONLY THE PHOTOSOL AEROCLIPSE SOLVENT NOT ECLIPSE.  See their website for details:

http://www.photosol.com/sony.html

Also, a helpful demo video at:

http://www.photosol.com/sensorswabultra.html#video

I'm looking forward to less sensor spots at higher f-stops.

If you're shooting mostly wide open, those bits of stuff will likely never be seen in your image, even if you're shooting the odd eg landscape at f8 or higher, a few minutes in post processing can easily remove those spots. Horses for courses. Sensor cleaning becomes part of the workflow if you're regularly shooting with fairly small apertures and changing lenses while out and about eg landscapes.

All I'm trying to add here is that It's often just not necessary to wet or even dry clean your sensor.

There seem to be a lot more places offering to do a sensor clean for you nowadays. it's easy money for them, but then you have peace of mind. From a basic cost perspective, a pack of 12 sensor swabs costs around $40 (that's Aussie dollars), the sensor liquids vary in cost, but circa $20. while it seems expensive, it goes a long way. Worst case I'd use 3 swabs to clean, so that costs me around $10...and around 10 minutes. nothing nicer than a clean sensor for someone who is regularly out and about shooting our coastline.

• 4 weeks later...

i have now A7S and tried different wet cleaners, Isopropanol, Aeroclipse, visble dust, benzine

and sensor is still dirty

somehow the surface from the A7S sensor is very rough so a dirt film and smearing will be there after cleaning

has somebody a solution for A7S sensor´s?

First I use the A7RII cleaning mode. 

Then I use this one way valve visible dust blower:

http://visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=444

And if there are any suborn particles I then use the arctic butterfly:

http://visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=3

I also have their light magnifier glass that I bought as part of a kit a long time ago when I used to shoot Canon.  I find the it hard to use on the Sony sensor due to strange reflections:

http://visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=710

Just came across a video that I think makes sense, for wet cleaning, it suggests that you run the cleaning mode but don't turn off the camera at the end, and then wet swipe...just to be clear, the camera has finished its internal cleaning mode, the one that shakes pretty hard for a second or so, but DO NOT turn the camera off at this point...why, because apparently, the sensor at the end of the cleaning mode cycle is "parked" and not floating, like it is when the camera is switched off. He correctly suggests that we shouldn't clean the sensor while its on and powered, whereas he's suggesting that the sensor is as I said locked, but not transmitting, that's why the screen is black at the end of the cycle? so you potentially get a better cleaning action, as the sensor is now rigid, but it's not powered with the inherent associated risks. I also like that I'm not potentially moving the sensor around where it ought not go if it's fixed as in this amended procedure. I'll definitely try this next time I do a clean and let you know how that goes.

I've cleaned my sensor a few times without issue as posted above, but have not tried this method, but it does make sense.

I think you'll find that electricity is being sent to the sensor, it's just you're in the menu so it's blank; it's no different than being in the menu though. The sensor has a rig around it, it won't simple fall off of its axis.

Have u wet cleaned one of these? The movement is substantial. The lensrentals.com teardown shows the range of movement. And yes it's a fairly substantial sensor mechanism / housing, which I'm guessing is why in auto clean mode it has such a fairly hefty shake to it. But while I'm wet cleaning my sensor, I much prefer to swipe a solid sensor than to swipe the sensor suspended in its magnetic field. I've done it both ways and tend to get a cleaner sensor with less swipes with the sensor "parked", which is pretty much like cleaning the sensor of my previous camera the Canon 6D. I feel more confident in my technique working on a rigid sensor. I'll only post based on experience. I've now done this parked sensor technique at least 4 times, over the past months. I shoot most days, primes mostly, switch out lenses regularly and regularly shoot at smaller apertures, so it's part of what I do. If the sensor is powered, it's powered. I haven't fried my sensor, and it's clean. I don't need to be regularly editing out dust bunnies in post.

For anyone reading this stuff, if you elect to wet clean the sensor yourself, it's at your risk... if you have any doubts, pay someone to do it, a reputable source. This stuff isn't cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned by Trad above, there is a good video here:

A little before the 16:00 minute point in the video, he discusses how to "lock" the sensor.  I just got the Photosol Aeroclipse cleaning fluid and the 24MM Photosol cleaning swab mentioned in this video.  I cleaned my sensor and it worked very well.  It took four attempts to get most of the problems removed.  I will definitely do a cleaning prior to important photo shoots or not less frequently than quarterly.  Photosol has a good video too:

http://www.photosol.com/sensorswabultra.html#video

Don't be afraid to do this wet cleaning process.  Since the mirrorless sensor is so exposed, it is going to get dirty.  The blower helps, but wet cleaning will be necessary at some point.  I did see an interesting YouTube awhile back.  It suggested to put the camera on the tripod and face the body down with the lens removed.  Then carefully use the blower without touching the sensor.  Then gravity will help the dust you blow around inside the camera to exit the cavity.  That made sense to me.

Just wanted to share my method for lens changes. I use a clear plastic bag, the type you can get from many stores or markets in the produce section. The lens swap is done inside the clear plastic bag so anything blowing around doesn't get in the camera or sensor.  It also helps to try and make sure the camera isn't too dusty when putting it in the bag.  Also, quite easy to carry a few fresh bags when in the field for awhile.  They're free and quite plentiful. Doing this is no harder than changing lenses outside the bag and your sensor won't pick up any nasty stuff floating around.

My (A7R2) sensor was awfully dirty, I continuously change lenses, in pretty much all conditions. Always try to minimize sensor exposure but there's so much you can do.

Per recommendations here I ordered an Arctic Butterfly brush, a Zeeion blower, a Quasar loupe and the Photosol 24mm swabs & Aeroclipse fluid. The loupe is really a must-have to actually see what's going on. 

One thing I did not expect: upon wet cleaning using the 24mm Photosol brush + Aeroclipse fluid, the process left some kind of residue/traces on the sensor, and this "smear" had the swab fabric pattern, it was a series of thin lines across the sensor in the direction of the swab cleaning motion. 

I tried re-cleaning using more fluid, the first time I used something like 2-3 drops, the second time a bit more but it did not change anything. I tried wiping the the sensor using the Arctic Butterfly brush and after a few strokes it pretty much got rid of the swab cleaning residue. 

Anything I am doing wrong? I first tried using the Arctic Butterfly brush and luckily (I think) it worked, I wanted to avoid using a microfiber cloth on the sensor to get rid of the residue.

Any Ideas/advices? 

as i wrote in this forum i have the same problem and now i use blower and jelly cleaner

The surface from my A7S sensor is to rough, so the fibers from the swap + dirt, makes this film

jelly cleaner work´s great and is quite cheap around $ 4,20 from ebay

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Camera-CCD-CMOS-Sensor-Dust-Cleaning-Jelly-Cleaner-Kit-for-Canon-Nikon-Sony-DG-/172044889496?hash=item280eacad98:g:c-sAAOSwCQNWgp8N