Sony A7 lens choice opinion

Jainbaby

Hello,

Let me start with the fact that I am very much still a novice. I have a Sony A7 that I purchased last year with the kit lens. I attend a vintage automobile race every year in Italy and this became the reason for the Sony purchase last year. I currently have the Kit lens, a Voigtlander 40 mm Nokton and a few legacy type prime manual focus lenses.

I would like to purchase another lens and I am lost on how to approach the next purchase. I was looking at a Voigtlander 21MM or possibly really stretching my budget for the Batis 25.

If you were shooting mostly cars, some landscape and buildings, and you already have the lenses I listed, what would be your next lens purchase?

I will try to attach a pic I took in Italy last year. If you want to see what I primarily capture, my Instagram is Jainbaby

Thanks,

Steve

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A few more shots. All with Kit lens

One more shot.

The 28mm from Sony might be interesting, since you have a budget to consider, that one is reasonably priced. But the Loxia range might offer better results and interesting possibilities (think focus stacking for car shots).

I think for shots of stationary cars, and landscapes, a MF lens is just fine. But that is my opinion, I find the AF is a hassle and invariably I have to switch to MF to get precise focus.

The 16-35 f4 comes up first, reading your question and seeing your images.

Looking at your photo's, they are mostly on the wide side, with some longer shots.

The 16-35 covers the wider angle shots, including those which you would be able to shoot with a 25 or 28mm lens. It has stabilization, which can help if the cars or landscapes are not moving.

The 28-70 kit lens is good at 35mm and up. You already have a Voigtlander 40 which can do low light images if you are comfortable with MF.

But before purchasing anything, I would look at what focal lengths you mostly shoot at and base your decision on actual usage information.

I am comfortable with MF. I have been practicing quite a bit with MF.

I was thinking about the 28mm F2 for some Bokeh. The price and reviews make this one seem great. If I buy the 28mm and have say another $5-600 left, any thoughts on what else to look at in terms of rounding out what I bring with me?

Another pic

Any of the Loxia 21/35/50 will offer a smoother Bokeh at larger apertures, _much_ smoother than the Voigtländer 40mm, and so they would offer more creative options (such as focus stacking).

I have ordered the Batis 25 and it should arrive in a few weeks.  I own the Sigma 24 f1.4 Art (Canon mount), but it is really heavy and requires an adapter.  I also currently use the Sony 35MM f2.8.  This is a great lens due to its wide angle and light weight.  When I get the Batis, I'll probably keep the Sony 35.  Another huge factor is cost.  You can get a used Sony 35mm for half the cost of the new Batis 25.  Since you do not use your camera in low light, the Sony 35 is probably plenty fast enough for your needs.  The Sony 16-35 would also work but it too is more expensive than the Sony 35 and it is f4 versus f2.8.

I second timde's suggestion of Loxia lenses. From the pictures you have posted and you being comfortable with manual focus, I believe you will fall in love with the Loxia 21mm f/2.8. Razor sharp, great contrast and surprisingly nice bokeh for a wide angle. Perfect for cars, architecture, landscape and other still lifes.

Last November, I purchased a A7ii and a Zeiss 55 1.8.  My plan was to add a wide angle (Sony 28 or Zeiss 35) and a zoom ( Sony 70-200).  Reading and looking at photos on photo sites/forums I became interested in the Loxia lenses.  Additionally, I learned that older Minolta lenses, such as the 70-210 Beercan, will work wonders on my A7ii.  I can purchase the Beercan, 28, and adapter for around $750 which is less than the cost of a single Loxia lens.

While I'd love a Loxia 21budget issues say the Sony 28, Beercan and adaptor. Being an amateur/enthusiasts I think these will meet my needs.  YMMV.

Good luck.

Slight update: I purchased the Sony 28mm F2. Haven't shot any pics yet as I had to travel for work, but headed home on a plan as I type this.

The plan now is is to buy the Loxia 50. So I would have the 28F2, the kitens, the 40 mm voigtlander and the Loxia 50 mm. I'll practice on those and determine whether I want to keep all of them or sell the kitlens and/or the voigtlander 40mm. I also have a few legacy lenses.

For Italy if possible I would bring just the 28F2 and the Loxia 50. Would that work for the race?

The 28F2, I can't wait to shoot with this on the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

From this week using the 28F2. Straight out of the camera

One more straight out of the camera. What an awesome lens!

I am comfortable with MF. I have been practicing

quite a bit with MF.

I was thinking about the 28mm F2 for some Bokeh.

The price and reviews make this one seem great.

If I buy the 28mm and have say another $5-600

left, any thoughts on what else to look at in terms

of rounding out what I bring with me?

I fully agree about MF. You practice, it works ... and

acoarst it's very reliable. And as to bokeh, it's in the

mind of the beholder. Here's 20mm at f/4 [below]. If

you try this shot with a 28mm, you'll get the same

bokeh by working at f/5.6. Beats me why a 28 has

to open up to f/2.

BTW if you reconsider using a 20mm, most of them

are faster than my 20/4. Most of them are f/2.8. OK,

math again: The bokeh of /2.8 at 20mm is the same

bokeh as 28mm at f/4.

Anywho, here's 20mm at f/4:

Full disclosure: Even tho I have a 20/4 I also have a

28/2, cuz it's easier to manually focus faster lenses.

But just cuz I focus my 28 at f/2 doesn't mean that I

then shoot at f/2. The whole idea of MF accuracy is

to focus wide open and stop [at least a bit] to shoot.

Are you looking to shoot cars that are moving or stationary? If the former, then I can't imagine a manual focus lens like the Loxia, lovely as it is, would be a good choice compared to something like the FE55mm, which will offer continuous autofocus. I guess that the 40mm Voigtlander you have is the Classic right? It's field of view will be very similar to the Loxia or any other 40mm lens so if you are happy with the Voigtlander, maybe consider getting something with a bit more reach for motorsport events, say something between 85mm and 135mm or even longer and that will offer continuous AF.

Just an update.  Bought the 55 F1.8

Most of the cars I shoot are stationary.  Although I would like to shoot some in motion.  I have 4 GoPro camera attached to my car for video during the actual race.

So, this will be the current line up:

Sony 28MM F2

Voigtlander 40MM Nokton Classic

Sony Zeiss 55 F1.8

Kit Lens

a few legacy lenses

I still have 2 months before the race.  I'll keep updating this thread.  

The idea now would be to practice with these and determine if I need the kit lens or the Voigtlander.  Maybe I replace both of those with something else that compliments the 28MMF2 and the 55F18.  

• 2 weeks later...

Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 arrived over the weekend but I have been traveling again for work. I was home on Saturday, opened the box but never even got to snap any shots. On a plane at the moment and will not be back until Thusday but hope to get some time with the lens next weekend.

I must have a sickness, I also bought the Loxia 50mm today. So that should arrive before the weekend too.

I am thinking I may sell the kit lens and the voigtlander 40mm, but we'll see. The voigtlander has a kinda neat vintage vibe, in some lights and situations it's terrible and makes things have a yellow tinge...but in the right setting its sublime. So, I'll shoot more with all the lens this weekend and start figuring out whats a keeper.

The ever changing plan for Italy race is now to bring:

28MMF2

Loxia 50MM

Sony Zeiss 55F1.8

The race is in May, so I should have enough time to determine which of the other lenses are keepers. The sickness has me looking at the Batis 85MM, but I need to stop.

Loxia 50