I Just Spoke To Sony Technical Support About My Discovery

dcisive

and they corroborated with my post lower down that states using the 70-200G f4 WITHOUT the OSS on when shutter speeds exceed 1/400th of a second is advisable. They said the stabilization in the body is STILL in effect contradictory to the warning box that pops up insinuating that the 70-200G f4 lens is not supported by it. They will be fixing that in firmware so it doesn't state this incorrectly. The lens IS supported by the body stabilization and if you have the OSS ON when higher shutter speeds are present they can counteract each other a bit at times which accounts for why I was getting some inconsistent focusing at higher shutters speeds shooting outdoors today. My photo samples in a thread on Dpreview's Sony Forum are a perfect example. It feels so good to discover this as now in the outdoor scenario my lens is even sharper than before as I'm now typically shooting with the OSS OFF. I recommend you all do the same who use this combo.

Lens OSS is  designed to work in tandem, not against IBISS. I doubt that is what you're seeing. Never had a problem at any shutter speed with an A7 and A7RII. Having focus problems is not something you usually see as a result of OSS issues as the 2 are not connected at all. Unless of course you have a dud lens.

The Rep concurred with what I noted. He also said Sony is aware of the flaw where the warning comes up when using the 70-200G f4, that it is not compatible with the A7RII which it IS. He said the warning is the flaw, the IBIS continues to work with the lens. He agrees that the problem is the OSS over compensates for the shake or movement when the shutter speed exceeds 1/500th sec, in which case the ideal is turning off the OSS on the lens only. It is rendering perfect consistency so I have no doubt there is truth to this.

Guest Peter Kelly

I thought the same as 'JonathanStewart' regarding the effect of the switch, but I have noticed similar issues to 'dcisive' yet not known why (I put it down to user error!).

Clearly, there is some anomaly here that Sony are aware of, but it also appears that the particular Sony rep is mistaken. Having just checked my camera the lens switch does indeed turn off all anti-shake, body and lens.

However, I'm assuming that Sony have missed the problem initially, perhaps assuming people only use AS for slow shutter speeds, even though most probably don't touch the setting unless using a tripod.

One must be cautious about info from "reps".

Generally, tech reps are no better, nor worse,

than your typical Help Desk jockeys ... useful

but sometimes not really on the case. [OTOH

marketing reps are more consistent ... more

consistently waaaaaaay off.]