General zoom for A7II... when budget matters... ?

JSM

Mostly for travel purposes (I sometimes travel by motorcycle), a general zoom, reasonably priced would be great. At the moment only the Sony-Zeiss FE 24-70 F4 is available. Rumors say a new lens is about to be released with a bigger aperture. Sounds great but if one looks at the corresponding A-mount lens it'll likely be (way) above the 2 000 EUR barrier.

Wondering if anyone has tried the SIGMA or TAMRON 24-70 F2.8 together with an adapter. I actually have a Metabones to use my old (film-era) Canon/Sigma lenses, so I could use it and purchase the TAMRON 24-70 2.8 which gets good reviews (mounted on Canon...). How would it perform on Sony A7II?

Anyone?

I´m thinking.... Motorcycle. General zoom. F/2.8.

A general zoom with f/2.8 is guaranteed to be expensive and bulky.

Have you considered 2 lenses?

1) That general zoom for good light conditions. FE-24-70mm or even the kit 28-70mm which is surprisingly decent. (I have only used the latter)

2) A fast prime for those situations when you actually need it.

One lens to do it all will probably empty your wallet.

For mobility, low cost and easy autofocus I would get the kit 28-70 + 28mm f2.

/Allan

Mostly for travel purposes (I sometimes travel by motorcycle), a general zoom, reasonably priced would be great. At the moment only the Sony-Zeiss FE 24-70 F4 is available. Rumors say a new lens is about to be released with a bigger aperture. Sounds great but if one looks at the corresponding A-mount lens it'll likely be (way) above the 2 000 EUR barrier.

Wondering if anyone has tried the SIGMA or TAMRON 24-70 F2.8 together with an adapter. I actually have a Metabones to use my old (film-era) Canon/Sigma lenses, so I could use it and purchase the TAMRON 24-70 2.8 which gets good reviews (mounted on Canon...). How would it perform on Sony A7II?

Anyone?

I used the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 on my Sony A7ii via LA-EA4 adapter. The results were superb. However, I sold it because that lens + adapter is a beast to deal with on A7xx bodies. If you won't have to deal with a lot of low light situations you may want to consider the Sony FE 24-240. It's heavy but it's native, less expensive than the Sony 70-200 F4, and produces high quality images! Not as good as the 70-200 F4 but good enough for most purposes. Btw, I have both of those lenses.