Beginner question

Elrey814

I just bought a Sony A7iv, body only. I purchased the 200-600 zoom lense for sports photos but I'm wondering which lense would be recommended for everyday use. Something that I can shoot pics of any and everything and also still do videos. Something not too big. Thanks for any help

That's quite a general question you ask there... I'll make a list of assumptions based on the information provided and try to deduct a fitting lens:

10 hours ago, Elrey814 said:

I just bought a Sony A7iv

Ultimate image quality not required, so non-GM lens is ok.

I purchased the 200-600 zoom lense

Doesn't have to be the cheapest lens available, image quality shouldn't be too much compromised.

Something that I can shoot pics of any and everything

Zoom lens with a generous zoom range, but should at least cover 24-70 mm range.

and also still do videos.

You'll want good autofocus then.

Something not too big.

Not too generous of a zoom range then, and F/4 aperture is ok to reduce size.

This brings me to the following options:

Sony 20-70 F/4 G: very versatile zoom range, very compact lens with declickable aperture ring (might be nice for video), great autofocus. Bit expensive and bit slow aperture.

Tamron 28-75 F/2.8 G2: much cheaper than the Sony, F/2.8 aperture. Good image quality, but might not be wide enough at 28 mm. Quite a bit larger than the Sony.

Sigma 28-70 F/2.8 DG DN: very similar to the Tamron, bit smaller if you value small size over everything else.

Tamron 28-200 F/2.8-5.6: very versatile zoom range (though a bit narrow at the wide end). F/2.8 aperture at 28mm is convenient in low light. Similar in size to the Tamron 28-75.

In order to narrow down the options, I suggest you try to answer some questions.

What is your budget and do you want to buy the lens new or can you consider a used one?

Do you want to buy a Sony lens or do you consider also third party (Sigma, Tamron, ...) ones?

Then you need to rank what is more important for you, because they are somehow mutually excluding:

• Image quality
  • Maximum aperture
  • Size and weight
  • Zoom range

Different people have different priorities, for example some people prioritise zoom range, they want to lug around with a lens that goes from wide angle to telephoto and accept to give in image quality and maximum aperture for the convenience of not having to change the lens (which is a real bonus when shooting in dirty environments), while others (and I am among them) give up on zoom range to have a faster lens with better image quality. Then there are the "kit zoom folks", which sacrifice all of the above for price, and in some cases this is far from being stupid. I have a friend following sports events and he shoots with cheap kit zooms because after one year of use they are so dirty and full of dust inside that it costs him less to buy a used ones than to have them professionally cleaned.

Once you have better ideas about your expectations, the search process becomes the easy thing.

Besides, if you are not able to answer these questions, there is a  quick answer, go for the cheapest option and buy it used. Shoot for some time and learn on the field what you need. Then you can buy the lens that suits you and keep the other as a spare or sell it for more or less what you paid.

Thanks for the info. I was referring to a lense which I can have on the camera for everyday use. Like if I were to go to the city and just shoot random pics or go on a hike and take pics of nature. Also, if I wanted to randomly shoot a video of say a car I see driving by. I've been looking at few lenses: Sony G 24-105 f/4 G OSS, Sony E-PZ 18-105mm f/4.0 G and the Sony G Master FE 24-70mm 2.8 GM Full-frame e-mount.

Just not sure which one of these would be more practical for everyday use or if there was another (doesnt have to be sony), that you'd recommend. Thanks again for any info

On 9/21/2023 at 10:11 PM, Elrey814 said:

Something not too big.

12 hours ago, Elrey814 said:

the Sony G Master FE 24-70mm 2.8

This doesn't match. The Sony 24-70 GM (especially version 1) is a big lens. Version 2 is great but expensive and I agree with @FunWithCameras: if you want a small, versatile lens, there are other options.

12 hours ago, Elrey814 said:

if there was another (doesnt have to be sony), that you'd recommend.

Have a look at the options I recommended:

On 9/22/2023 at 8:35 AM, Pieter said:

Sony 20-70 F/4 G: very versatile zoom range, very compact lens with declickable aperture ring (might be nice for video), great autofocus. Bit expensive and bit slow aperture.

Tamron 28-75 F/2.8 G2: much cheaper than the Sony, F/2.8 aperture. Good image quality, but might not be wide enough at 28 mm. Quite a bit larger than the Sony.

Sigma 28-70 F/2.8 DG DN: very similar to the Tamron, bit smaller if you value small size over everything else.

Tamron 28-200 F/2.8-5.6: very versatile zoom range (though a bit narrow at the wide end). F/2.8 aperture at 28mm is convenient in low light. Similar in size to the Tamron 28-75.

Given the additional info, if you want to travel reasonably light and have one lens that can do a little bit of everything, the Tamron 28-200 is the best option. Reasonably wide (and fast) at 28 mm end to deal with urban environments and landscapes and long enough at the tele end to allow you to isolate elements in the landscape when hiking.