Sony A1 freezing

Pippin

I have tried a few different lenses on my Sony A1 - original and well used - and every now and again it freezes - and doesn't show an f number. The only way to get around this is to shut it down take the lens off and then put it back on and start up again.

I am due to go to Kenya next month and don't want this to happen just at the wrong moment.

Any suggestions ?

I thought about sending it to get repaired but the shop sends it to London and they don't know the turnaround time.

Could you define "every now and again"?

Does "freezes" mean it fails to show the f-stop (somewhere), but otherwise works OK?

Or does "freezes" mean "nothing works" and, by the way, it fails to show the f-stop?

We are not looking over your shoulder.

Are all of your lenses made-by-Sony e-mount lenses?

Edited by XKAES

Once or twice at month it freezes it fails to show the f stop but nothing works and I have to turn it off and on again and then it works fine  I just don't want this to happen whilst photographing wildlife in Kent in a couple of weeks. All of my lenses are Sony E mount lenses, this has happened with all three lenses 24-70,200-600 and 70-200 lenses.

Thanks.  That seem to point to the camera as the problem, but since it happens so infrequently, nailing down a solution will be difficult.  Here's what I'd try:

#1: Reset everything in the menus to the factory default

#2: Only use SONY batteries

#3: Make sure you have the latest FIRMWARE for the A1

#4: Reset the menu items to your preferences.

#5: Cross your fingers

• 4 weeks later...

Good point.  The final Sony a-mount camera (a99II?) was last manufactured in, I would guess, about four years ago.

So if you like a-mount cameras, better get a spare before the prices start to go up.

Anyone know if Sony has stopped a-mount LENS production as well?  I assume so, but I have not checked into it.  Are other lens makers still turning out any a-mount lenses???

Curious minds want to know.