Why does movie mode have S&Q settings and vice-versa?

Good morning Sony Alpha Forum! After admiring Sony full-frame cameras for years, I finally bought one, the ZV-E1. This is kind of a return home for me because my first autofocus 35mm camera was a Minolta. 🙂

On the ZV-E1, there is a physical switch that lets me choose still, movie, or S&Q mode. Movie mode is the regular video-shooting mode, and S&Q is a mode that lets me independently set the camera and recording frame rates, in order to do in-camera time-lapse or slow-motion.

When I go into the Shooting menu, I see submenus that let me configure "Movie Settings" (the frame rate and bit rate for movies), "S&Q Settings" (same but for the S&Q mode), and "Time-lapse Settings."

Here's what I don't understand: Although I can configure "S&Q Settings" (and "Time-lapse Settings") while in movie mode, there's no way to actually use them in movie mode, since the video record button records a video using "Movie Settings." Similarly, in S&Q mode, the record button records a video using the S&Q settings; there's no way to use the movie settings.

At first I thought that the settings were shared between movie and S&Q modes, but apparently not; each of the still/movie/S&Q modes has independent settings.

So what's going on here? Why does the camera let me access/configure S&Q settings in movie mode, and movie settings in S&Q mode? Are they ever used? Do I not understand how this camera works? Or is this just a quirk in the UI, and we're supposed to know that the movie settings do nothing in S&Q Mode and vice-versa?

I have the ZV-E1 but suspect this question applies to other Alpha cameras that have a photo/movie/S&Q selector.

I don't have a ZV-E1, but on my A7RV (which has a similar stills / movies / S&Q switch) I have a choice over whether settings are carried over from one to the other. I definitely do not want my stills settings (like 1/8000 shutter) carried over to video, nor vice versa, so I immediately switched it to "no carry over". I wonder if you can relieve your problem by turning off the setting that isolates the three positions on the switch?

Thanks for your response!

After reading your response, I found the "Different Set for Still/Mv" setting on the ZV-E1. I'm guessing that this preserves (or not) certain settings when you switch between still and movie while in a common mode like P, A, S, M. Is that right?

I'm kind of wondering what happens when your mode dial is set to one of the saved settings modes (like 1) and you switch from still to movie. I think the camera should load the saved settings for the new mode, right?

I should just try all the different ways of switching between modes and map out how it works in practice.

On 7/23/2023 at 1:40 AM, WillisBlackburn said:

Thanks for your response!

After reading your response, I found the "Different Set for Still/Mv" setting on the ZV-E1. I'm guessing that this preserves (or not) certain settings when you switch between still and movie while in a common mode like P, A, S, M. Is that right?

I'm kind of wondering what happens when your mode dial is set to one of the saved settings modes (like 1) and you switch from still to movie. I think the camera should load the saved settings for the new mode, right?

I should just try all the different ways of switching between modes and map out how it works in practice.

Good question, and I don't know. I haven't explored the video settings. If you discover the answer (and I hope it's the one you suggested), please let us all know.