Sony A7 III - Question about - silent shutter and anti-flicker

z00nk

Hi, my questions could be simple but I am not able to find 100% of the information in this case, so I am asking you :) 

1. Do I save the shutter mechanism OVERALL the time by shooting all the time on a silent shutter (which, as you know for a long time, tends to be damaged faster)?

2. Do I lose any sharpness, colors etc when shooting with a silent shutter? Are we losing anything at all?

3. When taking pictures with the anti-flicker function turned on (silent shutter off), I lose something besides apart what we know from the manufacturer's instructions? There is something else someone else has discovered when taking photos with this option turned on?

Thank you.

10 hours ago, z00nk said:

1. Do I save the shutter mechanism OVERALL the time by shooting all the time on a silent shutter (which, as you know for a long time, tends to be damaged faster)?

Yes, the physical shutter is not used, so it hardly wears. My question to you: do you leave your car parked in the garage because it might wear when you use it?

2. Do I lose any sharpness, colors etc when shooting with a silent shutter? Are we losing anything at all?

The electronic shutter is much slower at ending the exposure than the physical shutter. As a result, there is much more time between the exposure of the top and bottom row of pixels when using the electronic shutter than when using the physical shutter (about 1/60 sec with the electronic shutter vs 1/300 sec with the phycical shutter). Depending on your use case, the electronic shutter might therefore introduce all sorts of unwanted effects, such as distortion of fast moving subjects or banding due to flicker of artificial lighting. So when shooting fast action or indoors, use the physical shutter.

There's also some reports of bokeh artifacts (less smooth background) with the electronic shutter, but these are rare cases.

3. When taking pictures with the anti-flicker function turned on (silent shutter off), I lose something besides apart what we know from the manufacturer's instructions? There is something else someone else has discovered when taking photos with this option turned on?

What this does is that your camera synchronizes the exposure timing with the flickering it detects in artificial light sources, such that the image is exposed as uniformly as possible. Because the camera induces a very slight delay to sync the exposure, the maximum burst speed might be reduced a bit.

On 29.10.2022 at 20:45, Pieter said:

Tak, fizyczna migawka nie jest używana, więc prawie się nie zużywa. Moje pytanie do Ciebie: czy zostawiasz swój samochód zaparkowany w garażu, ponieważ może się zużywać, gdy go używasz?

Migawka elektroniczna jest znacznie wolniejsza przy kończeniu ekspozycji niż migawka fizyczna. W rezultacie podczas korzystania z migawki elektronicznej jest znacznie więcej czasu między naświetleniem górnego i dolnego rzędu pikseli niż w przypadku korzystania z migawki fizycznej (około 1/60 s z migawką elektroniczną w porównaniu z 1/300 s z migawką fizyczną). ). W zależności od przypadku zastosowania migawka elektroniczna może zatem wprowadzać różnego rodzaju niepożądane efekty, takie jak zniekształcenie szybko poruszających się obiektów lub pasy spowodowane migotaniem sztucznego oświetlenia. Dlatego podczas fotografowania szybkich akcji lub w pomieszczeniach używaj fizycznej migawki.

Istnieją również doniesienia o artefaktach bokeh (mniej gładkie tło) z migawką elektroniczną, ale są to rzadkie przypadki.

Powoduje to, że aparat synchronizuje czas ekspozycji z migotaniem, które wykrywa w sztucznych źródłach światła, tak aby obraz był naświetlony jak najbardziej równomiernie. Ponieważ aparat wprowadza bardzo niewielkie opóźnienie synchronizacji ekspozycji, maksymalna szybkość zdjęć seryjnych może zostać nieco zmniejszona.

Thanks for these answers, if you helped in the second and third cases, in the first case I do not fully understand the comparison or maybe we did not understand each other. If 'someone' is going to save money to repair the shutter, he can use an electronic shutter, right?
Your comparison should look like this maybe - "I prefer to leave my car in the garage THAN outside and expose it to weather conditions that have a negative effect on the sheet / paint BUT still use this car as often as needed.

42 minutes ago, Pieter said:

Might not have been the best comparison but my point was that you bought the camera to use it, so don't be afraid to use it.

Thank you but I often photograph weddings and I do not want to leave the camera in the middle of the ceremony without a shutter :( and I know that it was destroyed in random life time of the shutter.

I think you're too stressed about shutter failure: people have been using (much worse) mechanical shutters for commercial photography for decades. Besides, you don't want your shots ruined by banding or rolling shutter either, so better bring that backup camera if you're doing this commercially.

I always have a backup camera with me, but this is the previous model, and I like the a7 III model, which is much more pleasant to work with. Sure, if I buy a second a7 III one day, the problem will disappear, so far you are right - I'm a little stressed that the shutter may fall :)