Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM .. is is that bad as DxoMark says ?!

Hello everyone 

I’m brand new owner for A7r iv 

I have a question that I couldn’t find an answer for and it’s very important to me hopefully someone with more experience with this lens can help 

Last week I was reading a review my friend sent me in a website called DxoMark about the 24-70mm GM they claim that the lens only can provide 33MP

and I have Sony A7r IV A which I bought specifically for the higher resolution since I tend to crop in many occasions like landscapes and birds etc 

They rated all of the GM lenses with high score except this one, most of are prime which is sharper for sure .. but is true that I’ll get only 33MP out of 60MP ?! And if you can recommend a better lens around this focal length as long as it not prime.

BTW  I own the 100-400 GM so 70-200 is not ideal for me 

thanks 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I don't see how a lens would limit the number of pixels. The pixel count is surely down to the sensor on the camera.

If you were to crop down to APS-C mode, then the pixel count would drop - this would happen automatically if you used a lens purely designed for APS-C, but I believe the 24-70 GM is designed for Full frame cameras.

Other reviews I've seen make no mention of a reduced pixel count - indeed, virtually the only objective criticism of this lens seems to be the high price point and lack of OSS.

Roumour has it that the new version of this lens is due for release this month.

the lens sharpness and ability to capture all theses tiny details for huge res cameras is important and not all lenses can do that .. this is a known fact 

for example read the lab tests and reviews for the Sony FE 135mm GM .. it’s razor sharp lens and critics like Roger Cicala were very impressed

but my only concern with this lens that I couldn’t find a reliable lab test except Dxo’s test and I don’t know them .. guess I’ll just sold mine and wait for the newer version 

I've just read the whole of the DXoMark review

"Best zoom in the range" does not say to me that this is a duff lens!

The chart for sharpness when tested on the A7Riv is virtually all green (just a bit of yellow at small apertures - mainly f22)

I think I'd be more than happy with this lens, if I could afford it.

I don't know if you have read this review of this lens from Photozone but other than softness in the extremities of the photo frame wide open and improves to acceptable levels when stopped down, I think it's an enviable lens to own: http://www.photozone.de/sonyalphaff/997-sony2470f28gm?start=1 Now if only Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70/f4.0 had a similar performance curve as the 24-70/2.8GM lens, that would be an ideal lens (for me) in terms of size, weight and cost.

1 hour ago, tadwil said:

I don't know if you have read this review of this lens from Photozone but other than softness in the extremities of the photo frame wide open and improves to acceptable levels when stopped down, I think it's an enviable lens to own: http://www.photozone.de/sonyalphaff/997-sony2470f28gm?start=1 Now if only Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70/f4.0 had a similar performance curve as the 24-70/2.8GM lens, that would be an ideal lens (for me) in terms of size, weight and cost.

Yes I read that review along with other reviews and lab test recently .. as you can see there say it’s good but the best you can have in matter of sharpness, in the last 2 days I was reading excessively and I think I made up my mind .. the thing is the lens itself  it’s not bad as I want to describe in my topic, and most of these reviews done with lower capabilities cameras back in 2016-17 ..and for 60mb cameras you need the best you can get .. now days there’s a better option like tamron 28-75 g2 especially in MTF results which is more important to me .. 

even tough they’ll still limited in matter of resolution .. I might consider prime lens since they are the only lenses who can handle such a camera 

23 minutes ago, Pieter said:

How about the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 G2? Similar to the Sony/Zeiss in size and price, better performance than the Sony GM. If you can do without 24mm, that is a very sensible option.

Yeah I was talking to Dustin abbot recently and he recommend this lens to me .. however I decided to wait and see the results of newer version of the 24-70 GM 

4 hours ago, Hamad said:

I decided to wait and see the results of newer version of the 24-70 GM 

Expect it to be much better than the GM version 1, and a bit better than the Tamron as well... at close to 3× the price. If money is not an issue for you, the GM v2 is likely the best option.

37 minutes ago, Pieter said:

Expect it to be much better than the GM version 1, and a bit better than the Tamron as well... at close to 3× the price. If money is not an issue for you, the GM v2 is likely the best option.

Well .. I’m already saving and preparing money for such a lens, and with some projects for some clients I’ll have enough to get it .. I don’t think the price would be that much higher, if you look at the 70-200 currently sold at 2000$ and the || version 2700$ .. 

Edited by Hamad

In my country the 24-70 GM debuted for €2400, the Tamron 28-75 G2 for €950. If the GM2 releases for the same price as the GM1, that's pretty close to 3× price difference. The 70-200 GM1 and GM2 both released for €3000 here.

1 hour ago, Pieter said:

In my country the 24-70 GM debuted for €2400, the Tamron 28-75 G2 for €950. If the GM2 releases for the same price as the GM1, that's pretty close to 3× price difference. The 70-200 GM1 and GM2 both released for €3000 here.

That’s a lot!

I don’t know why pricing in USD and Euro are the same in many Sony products although euro is a higher currency .. in my country it’s between 1900-1998$ with 15%VAT Included .. maybe it’s better for you to buy it from B&H if taxes not an issue .. their shipping prices is great too. 

I was talking launch prices, not current market prices. The 24-70 GM currently sells for €1900 at reputable stores here but the GM2 will only be available for launch price during the first half year or so. Launch price will likely be around €2400.