Zony ZA 50/1.4 or Sig Art 50/1.4?

craig50

So, considering a 50mm. Unfortunately the Sony 50/1.2 is out of budget. Looking at the Sony Zeiss 50/1.4 and the Sig Art 50/1.4. Anyone have real world experience with either? Features and reviews of the Zeiss are appealing but it's a little on the high side. Like the reviews & cost of the Sig but it's a little dated. Thoughts?

I've not got either, but I have owned Sigma Art lenses and Sony Zeiss lenses. I like the colour rendition  on Zeiss lenses but I found both ranges produce excellant photos.

The Zeiss is slightly smaller and slightly lighter.

Does a lens being a little dated affect it's quality?

On this occasion, if I was making the choice, I think price would be the deciding factor.

Was surprised my local shop has a Sony ZA 50/1.4 for reasonable. Seriously mulling it over.

Guess what I meant b y the fact the Sig is a little dated is that it is a 7 year old lens designed for DSLRs and has been outfitted to work with mirrorless. There are newer designs out there, not necessarily better.

It is expected Sigma will come with a 50mm f/1.4 DG DN any day now. If you're nog in a hurry you might wanna wait for that (though it'll be more expensive than the DG HSM. Also consider the newly released Samyang 50mm f/1.4 II (so not the version with the red ring around the barrel).