Pictures taken with Sony Alfa Cameras and Contax Zeiss lenses.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I continue to be amazed by the 100-300 Vario-Sonnar. I already knew it is scary sharp on the A7r, but I decided to try it on my micro 4/3 system as well (an Olympus E-M10).

Micro 4/3 sensors are extremely taxing on lenses; they pack slightly more than 16Mp in an area 1/4th the size of a full frame sensor, so they are effectively the equivalent of a > 64Mp sensor. Honestly I was unsure if the 100-300 would have been capable of keeping up; most of my lenses didn't fare very well, at least not wide open.

I won't post a picture here (they were just test shots out of my window I already trashed, and this is a Sony forum after all...), but like I said I tested it alongside my other medium and long lenses on the Olympus E-M10 and:

1) it is clear as day in a class entirely on its own. At full aperture (f/4.5 for 100mm, f/5.6 for 300mm) it is wildly sharper than anything else closed down one or two stops to f/5.6 or f/8 (Minolta 100/2.5 and 200/4, Leica 180/4, Olympus 135/3.5, several zooms).

2) per-pixel sharpness is even higher than the one of the shots I took with the Contax 60 Makro-Planar, a razor on its own merit

3) the images were so darn sharp that it looked like they had been shot on a sensor with a much higher Mp count, exhibiting that "natural / organic (for lack of a better term)" sharp look of the "big guns"

The funny thing is that, given the higher Mp count (for area) and the electronic front curtain shutter, the lens performs better on the Olympus than on the Sony!

So I guess the next rumored Sony sensor with 50Mp will be child play for the Vario-Sonnar :)  and in the meantime the Oly is my new 2x converter...

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't plan to buy this one, but it was priced so ridiculously cheap (and even bundled with a gorgeous ST) that I couldn't resist. I'm using it quite a bit, it has IMHO a beautiful rendering, it does handle flare reasonably well and it is really sharp, not "just for a lens its age".

Should the prices go down a bit at some point I hope to be able to pair it with a 18/4 Distagon for one of my typical two-lenses setups (the other being 24mm + 85mm if I'm in more open spaces, and not in the thick of the woods).

All the pictures: Contax 50mm f/1.7 Planar on Sony A7r.

As I was putting together my Manual focus set, I went with the Contax 85 2.8 Sonnar (MMJ) as much for the size and weight as image quality. The Sonnar has not disappointed, like my 135 2.8 and 28 2.8, the Sonnar is clean and sharp WO, with great colours and rendering. It's also 1/2 the price of the 85 planar.

For those who don't know, there's a great thread originally put together by Nick Morrison that's been going for a while over on REDUSER.net. Whilst it's focus is video, the insights into lens performance is unique and extensive.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92044-Contax-Zeiss-Survival-Guide

PS Thanks too for the 50 1.7 images, that was my first Contaxt lens, whilst the bokeh can be a bit nervous at times, its a marvellous lens, full of typical Zeiss character and charm. Envious of the 100-300....

For those who don't know, there's a great thread originally put together by Nick Morrison that's been going for a while over on REDUSER.net. Whilst it's focus is video, the insights into lens performance is unique and extensive.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92044-Contax-Zeiss-Survival-Guide

PS Thanks too for the 50 1.7 images, that was my first Contaxt lens, whilst the bokeh can be a bit nervous at times, its a marvellous lens, full of typical Zeiss character and charm. Envious of the 100-300....

My sample of the 100-300 suffers from a sticky aperture, but instead of sending it for repair for the second time (and not be able to use it for months on end...) I modified a lens cap as a DIY f/11 aperture. It works like a charm!

This should be telling that they will have to pry the 100-300 out of my cold dead hands ;)

BTW, having a double setup Contax - Minolta MC / MD it is an excellent idea IMHO. When you, sometimes, don't want the contrast and rendering of the Zeiss you can change to the more pastel like, smooth bokeh-ed and less contrasty Minolta. One of the best Minolta triplets (24 - 55/1.7 - 100/2.5) will set you back usually less than 200€.

Depending on how confident you are, opening up these lenses can be very rewarding, and add another layer to your addiction....

I started with my Contax 50 1.7, had a bit of a hard time initially undoing the mount screws, but with the right tools, it's not that bad. I ended up completely rebuilding it, lots of nervous moments until it all goes back together.

Cleaning a sticky aperture isn't that bad, lighter fluid or naphtha is recommended to clear the blades, but I'm not sure how complex the 100-300 might be to get into. Have a look around the web, someone may have posted a tear down...

For eg, here's one that covers your Minolta 55 1.7

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1159122

If anyone has a good link covering the Sonnar 85 2.8 MMJ tear down, let me know. I'd love to re lube the helicoid on mine, the focus throw is just that bit tighter than I'd like.

Depending on how confident you are, opening up these lenses can be very rewarding, and add another layer to your addiction....

I started with my Contax 50 1.7, had a bit of a hard time initially undoing the mount screws, but with the right tools, it's not that bad. I ended up completely rebuilding it, lots of nervous moments until it all goes back together.

Cleaning a sticky aperture isn't that bad, lighter fluid or naphtha is recommended to clear the blades, but I'm not sure how complex the 100-300 might be to get into. Have a look around the web, someone may have posted a tear down...

For eg, here's one that covers your Minolta 55 1.7

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1159122

If anyone has a good link covering the Sonnar 85 2.8 MMJ tear down, let me know. I'd love to re lube the helicoid on mine, the focus throw is just that bit tighter than I'd like.

Thanks for the link to the 55 teardown!

I've actually cleaned and re-built several primes (and a cheap zoom), more than a few film cameras, and converted my then new-ish Nikon D70 to infrared; but the 100-300 looks pretty complex (and I haven't been able to find any guide online).

Frankly it would be a shame ruining such an high performing lens... On the bright side it is so sharp already wide open than I rarely have to recur to my DIY contraption to stop it down, unless obviously I need the extended DOF.

Yep, even some of the primes can be a bit daunting. for example I have a nice Leica R Summicron 50 (II) that I would love to open up just to see how they build those tanks, but I haven't had the heart for fear of never being able to put it back together as there's not a lot out there on old Leitz gear. Good vintage glass will be around for a while yet and Sony like systems to come will only increase their draw. I'm actually enjoying a mix of AF and MF glass at the moment thanks to the recent PDAF update to the A7ii, clever...

I especially love the last one, but then I'm a sucker for black and white shots ;)

BTW, are you having troubles (i.e. poor results in terms of sharpness) using the lens at f/1.4 like another poster did?

On another note a link I forgot to post before:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1398694

This guy tested the 55/1.8 Sony against the Contax 35-70, obviously at the common apertures; look for yourself at the results. In my book this is just the nail in the coffin to the theory you need to buy the latest and (supposedly) greatest glass.

If you need a fast lens or af the Sony naturally wins, but in terms of sheer optical quality, especially for landscapes and such, to my eyes the Contax is as good if not quite a bit better. And don't forget we are pitching a 30-ish years old zoom against the 2nd best 50mm ever built (at least according to DXO)

I especially love the last one, but then I'm a sucker for black and white shots ;)

BTW, are you having troubles (i.e. poor results in terms of sharpness) using the lens at f/1.4 like another poster did?

On another note a link I forgot to post before:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1398694

This guy tested the 55/1.8 Sony against the Contax 35-70, obviously at the common apertures; look for yourself at the results. In my book this is just the nail in the coffin to the theory you need to buy the latest and (supposedly) greatest glass.

If you need a fast lens or af the Sony naturally wins, but in terms of sheer optical quality, especially for landscapes and such, to my eyes the Contax is as good if not quite a bit better. And don't forget we are pitching a 30-ish years old zoom against the 2nd best 50mm ever built (at least according to DXO)

Thank you for your kind feedback and the interesting link.

The enclosed was shot with the 85/1.4 @ 1.4 - I would say - au contraire - I was blown away by the sharpness and the smooth transition!

But I rarely shoot buildings etc. so mine may not be a valid comparison. To sum up - for my use, the 85/1.4 is a marvel

12186472_632221996920828_212530912178740

Beautiful shot! As always glass is important, but the eye of the photographer counts much more.

Thank you - flattery will work with me every time!

Now that I have finally upgraded to OSX 10.9. I was also able to work from raw files with capture one

12339402_641669062642788_36637598398100412304081_641699522639742_163195812004547

Feedback is - as always - welcome

Again Sony A7II with CY Zeiss 85/1.4

Getting more excited about the A7II with CY lenses every time I try something new.

This one was taken in a night club location with available light with the CY Zeiss Planar 50/1.7. I was shooting with a fellow photographer with a current model DSLR and would boast that MF actually worked better than AF under these conditions.

12357120_642537732555921_128566240104412

I'm just tickled to death with the quality of the CY Vario-Sonnar 28-85

I know what you mean, I bought one almost on a whim a while ago and now I'm loving it to bits (on the A7r).

I even went back and checked the published (and measured, not just theoretical) Zeiss MTF data just to be sure I wasn't seeing things: in effect the lens is as sharp - o sometimes even a tiny bit SHARPER! - than the corresponding Contax Zeiss prime lenses, with the exception of the 85/1.4 that stopped down should be still quite a bit sharper than this one (again, according to the charts).

Want to share my contax zeiss 35-70mm f/3.4 on sony a7II, love the sharpness of this lens. My only problem is on the adapter, it produce flare/internal reflection very badly if I shoot towards a light source.

Want to share my contax zeiss 35-70mm f/3.4 on sony a7II, love the sharpness of this lens. My only problem is on the adapter, it produce flare/internal reflection very badly if I shoot towards a light source.

Try the K&F, they sport a pretty good internal anti reflective paint:

http://www.sonyalphaforum.com/topic/384-a-good-brand-of-cheap-chinese-adapters/

Try the K&F, they sport a pretty good internal anti reflective paint:

http://www.sonyalphaforum.com/topic/384-a-good-brand-of-cheap-chinese-adapters/

Thanks addicted2light for your recommendation. From my short inspection on the pic, the internal surface coating is similar to my adapter which is glossy, do you think it would be better if I paint it to become matte? Anyway, I will buy it to give it a try. 

Have you looked at the Novoflex?

Yes I did, it's too expensive ;)

Thanks addicted2light for your recommendation. From my short inspection on the pic, the internal surface coating is similar to my adapter which is glossy, do you think it would be better if I paint it to become matte? Anyway, I will buy it to give it a try. 

Yes it is glossy, but it is "ridged" and it seems to be doing a reasonably good job (I shoot in backlight situations a lot). But I wouldn't use paint, because if it starts peeling or becoming dust you will have tons of dirt on the sensor...not good! ;)

Can anyone recommend a great Macro lens for the A7 series? Got to be in the 100mm range give or take a bit. I don't care about AF for macro.

But would prefer to be native E mount! No adapter? Guess I would be stuck to Sony 90mm. With Adapter the Canon looks good but would be larger, heavier and more costly with adapter.

The Sony 90mm looks great BUT is a bit large, heavy and well pricey. Any alternatives w/o AF? (Wish there was a Zeiss Loxia.... 100mm macro..... )

Thanks

That's exactly that I thought. But then I reconsidered. I am attaching lenses that used to be part of the most expensive and cherished lenses money could buy to a state of the art camera and using a potentially sub-optimal product to combine the two to save something like €80... How does that make sense? Anyway - that was my own personal conclusion. to each of us their own.

• 3 weeks later...