Pictures taken with Sony Alfa Cameras and Contax Zeiss lenses.

From what I've seen on the net some say that the A7r2 ( or A7r) is okay with the Contax G lenses 45 & 90 mm are very sharp from f2.0. Bought an used 90mm and it performs very well. Tack sharp at f2.

Would like to know who perform the other lenses 35mm 28 and 21, not clear if they perform from f2 for the 35mm and f2.8 for the others. Are they sharp in the corners or is there some smearing at f2 or f2.8?

Important for me because normally i shoot landscapes and find the quality of the 90mm really amazing, know the 45mm will be good as well but hesitate about the others...

I'm also with the Fuji system because the system is good and very compact a important because I like to travel light.

But consider the Contax G lenses instead of the Fuji system for moments when I travel with my wife and don't like to walk around with a big,heavy backpack full of big lenses...

See some comments : http://www.the.me/sony-a7r-and-a-ton-of-legacy-lenses-full-resolution-sample-images/

Another issue is that I don't find any comment on coma, like astrophotography as well...coma is a killer in astrophotography

Thanks for any reply about this

45/2 and 90/2.8 are reportedly problem-free (I haven't read about coma, though) on both the A7r and A7r II.

For the 21 on the A7r II you can check the full-rez examples and comments on:

http://www.the.me/21mm-the-zuikos-and-other-lenses-from-the-past-on-the-sony-a7rii/

The cliff-notes are that the 21 is unfortunately still not good, though better than it was on the original A7r, unless you don't put the images trough some kind of (pretty heavy in terms of resources) software correction.

For the 28/2.8 and 35/2 check:

http://chadwadsworth.com/2015/08/30/913/

Il looks like the 28 will still have poor corner performance, even on the A7r II, while the 35/2 is problem-free (again, on the A7r II).

So 35mm would be nice but he didn't test it...if it's ok I would certainly buy one of those !!

But he didn't test it: " I’m going to get my hands on the 35/2 soon so will report back"

If you keep reading you'll see that actually he tested it:

"Update The planar design of the 35/2 was very good but I preferred the look of the sonnar FE 35/2.8 and the fact that the Sony lens focuses much closer. Given that the FE lens will also have access to the more advanced modes of AF (Eye-AF and tracking) and the size is virtually the same, I’m going to stick with the native lens. Still, some might prefer the 35/2 and it worked well on the adapter. I have added some sample photos from outside the camera store to the end of the gallery."

Sony A7R with Contax Zeiss C/Y 85mm 1.4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sony A7R with Contay Zeiss C/Y 85mm 1.4

Verticle panorama, 3 shots, LR 6

Hey all. New guy here. I normally use Fuji gear, but picked up an A7ii last month to use with adapted glass. Works great with my Konica Hexanon lenses (50/1.4, 135/3.5, 200/4), but I've always wanted to experience a vintage Zeiss, so I recently bought a lightly used Contax Distagon T* 28/2.8 MM C/Y. What a beautiful little gem. So far no issues with the 28 on the A7ii. Sharp as any lens I've ever seen. Far corners are a tiny bit soft at F2.8 but, for whatI like to shoot, it doesn't bother me.

Now that I've got a taste of Zeiss, I'm on the prowl for an 85/1.4 MM (or maybe an f2.8), 60/2.8 Macro and a 135/2.8! :-)

These were taken on a very dull, overcast day in Brooklyn, NY. Sharpness is off the charts - I can count the micro-scratches on the restroom door, and the rivets on the Manhattan bridge. Truly stunning lens.

Comfort Station. f/2.8

Eye Spy Lower Manhattan. f/2.8

Hardened. f/2.8 - At closest focusing distance of 10"

Manhattan Bridge. f/2.8

I can vouch for the 60/2.8 Makro-Planar: is one of the sharpest lenses I've ever seen! Actually I can vouch for every Contax lens I've owned with the exception of the 25/2.8. At least my copy (the AE version, not the MM that supposedly should perform much better) was nothing special on the 5D mk II so I ended up selling it.

By the way, if you're not interested in extreme macro (1:1) keep in mind that there are two version of the 60mm, with the same optics but a different lens barrel/helicoid:

- Makro-Planar, that goes up to 1:1 and is quite chunky (nothing extreme, though)

- Makro-Planar C, that goes only up to 1:2 and it is much lighter (less than HALF the weight...)

And just to wet your appetite you can go browsing here the full list with specs of Contax glass :)

http://www.contaxcameras.co.uk/slr/slrmanlenses.html

Thanks for the info and link addicted2light! I've been researching the Contax lenses quite a bit, and it's nice to have all the specs in one link.

I'm leaning toward the 60mm C. I don't need 1:1 capability. "Macro" for me is mostly flower close-ups and product shots. I definitely also want to keep it small and light.

As for the 25/2.8, I had been considering that to go a little wider than 28mm, but the info I found seemed to point to the 28/2.8 MM as being a sharper lens.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info and link addicted2light! I've been researching the Contax lenses quite a bit, and it's nice to have all the specs in one link.

I'm leaning toward the 60mm C. I don't need 1:1 capability. "Macro" for me is mostly flower close-ups and product shots. I definitely also want to keep it small and light.

As for the 25/2.8, I had been considering that to go a little wider than 28mm, but the info I found seemed to point to the 28/2.8 MM as being a sharper lens.

Thanks again!

Sorry, I was out of town for a few days. You're welcome! 

I had the 25 AE when I used to shoot Canon (5D mk II), and I ended up selling it because on that sensor it wasn't any sharper than the cheap 24-85 Canon. That being said, it might have been that this lens and that particular sensor didn't play well together. Besides, the MM version (f/16 in green) supposedly should perform much better.

BTW, if you need info on legacy lenses I have a downloadable list on my website; it is not overly updated or complete and surely it contains some mistake, but there are quite a few entries:

http://www.addicted2light.com/2015/01/11/35mm-legacy-lenses-sizes-and-specs/

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I had finally purchased a mint condition Contax 85/1.4 C/Y MMJ, and was very excited. I spent a full day shooting with it mounted on the A7ii, and was completely disappointed! Soft isn't even the word. Mushy would describe it better. And the "glow" at f/1.4 was really bad. The lens only became "useable" at f/2.8 and, even then, it was not as sharp or contrasty as the Rokinon/Samyang 85/1.4 is at f/1.4! (I did a few side-by-side tests.) This is completely counter to my experience with my Contax 28/2.8 MMJ, so I'm baffled.

Anyway, I've sold the Contax 85 and just enjoyed a day out with the Rokinon 85, which produced sharp, clean images, and even seems to have some of that elusive Zeiss "micro contrast" (and nicer bokeh). This is the second Rokinon lens that has outperformed a "higher end" lens. (I have the Rokinon 12/2 for my Fuji X system, and it is sharper with less corner smearing than the Fuji XF 14.)

Update: I had finally purchased a mint condition Contax 85/1.4 C/Y MMJ, and was very excited. I spent a full day shooting with it mounted on the A7ii, and was completely disappointed! Soft isn't even the word. Mushy would describe it better. And the "glow" at f/1.4 was really bad. The lens only became "useable" at f/2.8 and, even then, it was not as sharp or contrasty as the Rokinon/Samyang 85/1.4 is at f/1.4! (I did a few side-by-side tests.) This is completely counter to my experience with my Contax 28/2.8 MMJ, so I'm baffled.

Anyway, I've sold the Contax 85 and just enjoyed a day out with the Rokinon 85, which produced sharp, clean images, and even seems to have some of that elusive Zeiss "micro contrast" (and nicer bokeh). This is the second Rokinon lens that has outperformed a "higher end" lens. (I have the Rokinon 12/2 for my Fuji X system, and it is sharper with less corner smearing than the Fuji XF 14.)

With Zeiss glass the surest way to assess if a lens is any good before buying it is to look at the MTF charts they publish, because while the MTF charts from other manufacturers are simply plotted relying on the theoretical characteristics of the lens the Zeiss ones are - or at least were - actually measured.

If you look at the MTF chart for the 85/1.4 linked below you will see that the lowest line - the 40 cycles/mm, that's the most helpful to determine performance on an high megapixels sensor - indicates a really poor performance, like the one you've experienced, at full aperture.

Planar T* 1,4/85 - Zeiss

At the same time the 10 and 20 cycles/mm lines are pretty high for an f/1.4 lens, and given that these were the frequencies more responsible for the perceived sharpness on film this might be the reason why this lens was so highly regarded once.

Interesting. I was actually holding my breath as I hit the Buy button for the Contax, because I had seen a few comparisons, and I knew the 85/1.4 would have a LITTLE bit of glow, but not THAT much. I also thought it would be a bit sharper wide open, though I think it appears lees sharp in large part due to the heavy glow. Oh well. I was able to re-sell it for a little more than I paid, so all good!

Here's a sample.

Full image with the Rokinon at f/1.4. (Focus point was the corner of the grey building on the left side of the photo.)

Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 (Sony E-Mount) 100% Crop at focus point.

Contax Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 C/Y MMJ (Looks like I smeared the lens with Vaseline!)

Rokinon (The steeple is about a 1/4 mile away from the focus point, so it's getting a little soft)

Contax

That's a really really bad performance...I think even worse than the MTF would suggest (even if most of it, like you pointed out, is glow and not unsharpness per se).

Keep in mind that with used lenses you might have gotten a lemon, or a lens that in the course of its life was badly dropped etc.

Besides, this kind of lenses were / are generally optimized for portrait distance shooting. That said, lens coating is the one area in which the optical engineering has made real strides in the last 20 years, and it shows.

Nothing photographically stunning. Son just wanted an interesting photo of his Mario quickly last night.

Contax N 50/1.4 modded by Conurus for AF on Canon EF mount with A7R2 + Metabones IV. Wide open.