A7riii vs a7iii - 2021 (350usd gap)

Tomic

Hi guys!

I am a Canon shooter, currently I have a Canon 6d mark ii as my main camera and my current lenses are a sigma art 24 105 f4 and a 50mm f1.8.

I can sell my current gear for around 1700 usd and I'm looking to jump ships. (I could put a few more dollars if it's worth it) 

In my country, (for new equipment - there's not much second hand market) the Sony products retail for:

- a7iii (body only) - 1200 usd 

-a7iii+kit lens 28 70 f3.5/5.6 - 1400 usd

-a7Riii (body only)  - 1550 usd

-kit lens 28 70 f3.5/5.6 - 200usd

-Sony 24 70 f4 zeiss - 475usd

-Sony 24 105 f4 G - 750usd

-Sony macro 90mm f2.8G - 475 usd

Those are pretty much my options.

My question is: what should I go for?

I'm leaning towards the a7riii+24 105f4 but at the same time there's the option of an a7iii+24 105 f4+90mm f2.8 macro for a few more dollars. At the same time I don't know if just with the a7iii+24 70f4 or even the kit lens it'd be enough. 

To give some background, I am not a professional, I have been paid just once for using my camera. It is more like a hobby to me and I use my camera for food photography since I own a bar and I take pictures of the plates for social media. Occasionally I shoot  portraits and travel photography such as landscape and city. I'm not really a videographer so I don't think the pros or cons in that regard would make a difference. 

Do you guys think it's worth paying the extra 350 for the R version or I'm better off buying a better lens with it? The decision is really tough for me because of how close they are in price. If it was 1000 usd more, I'd go with the a7iii, no doubts. But I'm even thinking about it as an investment. If everywhere else in the world there's a bigger difference between the two, maybe I should go for the more expensive one? 

I've been looking tons of comparisons and reviews in the last few weeks. 

What seem to be the pros for the a7r iii are:

-better resolution 

-more usability for super 35 given the 18mpx image it produces. 

-better evf

-better screen

-better build quality 

And the pros for the a7iii are:

-better autofocus (more points and faster) 

-better low light capabilities 

-better video 

However, having not had the chance to use any of these cameras, let alone side by side, I don't know how big this differences are really.

To put a little bit more difficulty yo the decision, the a7c retails for exactly the same as the a7 iii. 

Thanks in advance. 

i think you could benfit from the macro lens since you do food photography. 

the large megapixels don’t really make a whole lot of difference unless you’re printing alot of stuff. or maybe you shoot landscapes and want the highest resolution available 

I don't know anything about Canon cameras - How many mega pixels does yours have?

I have an A6500 24Mp and have just bought an A7Rii 42Mp and find the pics from the A7Rii far more pleasing. The improved sharpness is most noticeable.

Some people find the speed of AF and frames /sec too slow for Sports and wildlife but I find the benefit of being able to crop quite heavily and still keep a good image far out weighs the speed (So far I have had no trouble following birds in flight using centre lock AF and 11fps is more than fast enough for me).

Again, I find low light capabilities are very good (maybe not as good as more modern sensors) - but I, personally, would prefer the extra pixels to better low light performance.

Another possible alternative (maybe not in your country) might be to get a good adapter so you can use your Canon mount glass - but you'll need to ask the guys in the "adapters" section for advice here!

Do you need a Macro lens? I can fill a frame with a single rose with no trouble without macro - a plate of food should be no problem.