Sony Alpha a7III Shutter Problems and Lawsuit

Musicman1

Here is a link to an article on the lawsuit.  It seems as if it only applies to NY right now but if it progresses it could apply to all of the US.

Snarky answers about uncles aside, I would not expect any resolution on this for some time.

As for my A7iii, it is pretty new and no issues (so far).

Paul

https://fstoppers.com/gear/sony-being-sued-a7-iii-shutter-failures-cost-photographers-money-556652

The point of my snarky comment was to reflect the nature of the question: without reference it was unsubstantiated hearsay of an anecdotal case.

The lawsuit seems to be just that: a claim based on anecdotal evidence with zero chance of success. Equipment fails, period. If a shutter is rated at 200000 cycles, this doesn't mean each and every shutter will meet this lifespan: a representatively low percentage of units will fail before the rated number of cycles. These premature failures are covered under manufacurers warranty, so during the warranty period the shutter is guaranteed to last 200000 cycles.

I have to admit the case at hand is pretty hilarious in the irony of it: someone is sueing Sony for missed income due to a camera failure. But by doing so he completely disqualifies himself as a working professional: any self respecting pro knows that gear might occasionally fail and plans accordingly by bringing backup gear.

On 3/30/2021 at 10:47 AM, Musicman1 said:

Hello to all. I recently saw an article about a lawsuit filed against Sony due to shutter problems with the a7III. Does anyone know anything about this and has anyone had any problems with their a7III shutter?

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by photocowb0y

On 3/30/2021 at 5:33 PM, pcmancini said:

Here is a link to an article on the lawsuit.  It seems as if it only applies to NY right now but if it progresses it could apply to all of the US.

Snarky answers about uncles aside, I would not expect any resolution on this for some time.

As for my A7iii, it is pretty new and no issues (so far).

Paul

https://fstoppers.com/gear/sony-being-sued-a7-iii-shutter-failures-cost-photographers-money-556652

I think that the A7iii is probably the best camera for beginners. The way it works is astonishingly effective.