Sony A7M2 and HSS?

Hi Folks,

I just bought the new Nissan di700A flash unit with the Air 1 commander and am testing it out.

Can someone tell me how to get my A7M2 into HSS, or do I just start with the camerra in S mode set the shutter speed I want and the flash should follow in sync?

I don't seem to find any setting on the flash that is HSS, only Auto, Manual, TTL so far.

Here is a great video:

http://www.garyfong.com/tutorials/outdoor-glamour-portrait-shoot-magazine-feature-using-sony-a6000

It uses different equipment but I think you can get the point.  I am waiting for my remote flash setup (back ordered), but I think all you do is set up the camera normally and select HSS on the flash.  Then you can go as high as 1/8000 second on the shutter speed.

Gary Fong has lots of great videos on the subject.  And if you have a question, just email them and they will reply in under an hour.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, sounds as if you were able to work this out eventually. I am still stuck in the same quandary -- can't seem to find a way to get the speed above 1/250. How did you finally solve the problem? I have Sony a7m2 and Nissan Di700a with Air Controller 

Thanks in advance!!!

Here's what you need to do.

1. make sure both the A7M2 and Di700a are in wireless mode.

2. turn on the Di700a, then turn on the air commander to sync them together

3. press and hold the small button on the air commander for two seconds until it blinks. The button that is the small one with the lighting bolt on it.

When it starts to blink you are in HSS mode. To exit out of HSS push the small button again for to shut if off.

Let me know if it works for you.

Thank you very much for your kind reply, Jasham. This works as far as allowing me to shoot wirelessly but it does not allow me to use High Speed -- camera is only allowing me to go up to 1/250 not 1/8000. There must be something in the A7m2 menu that I need to turn on (or off??) but I have no idea what it is.

In the flash mode settings in the camera menu is where you put the camera into wireless mode.

Also be sure and have the air commander unit attached to the camera hot shoe and the camera on when you push and hold the small button for 2 seconds to enable HSS.

The flash mode settings can be reached via the menu first icon on the top left then number 2 and down to flash mode. When in the flash mode settings scroll down to the bottom and select WL.

Then with the camera on and air commander on and in the hot shoe and with the flash on push and hold the small button on the right hand top of the air commander for 2 seconds or until it starts blinking.

Let me know if this is a bit better help.

Thank you, Jasham!!!! I went back and re-did all the settings as you suggested and after a few re-sets, it finally worked. Also many thanks to Jaclarkaus -- i don't know if it made all the difference, but I did set the flash in straight ahead position and was able to get HSS working. I am most grateful to you both!!!

Your very welcome. I had a bit of a time in getting mine to work at first also.

I'm not sure but you might want to try HSS out moving the head position also. I think it will work in positions other than just straight ahead.

The worst part is trying to push and hold that little button, it is really small.

Best,

• 4 months later...

Remember that the Sony flashes are only able to do HSS in standard direct position. If you move the head of the flash up or to the side it doesn`t work.

For example: with the Nissin i40 you can do it, wherever you turnd the head of the flash.