Recommend Wide Angle for a6000

Coast

Pls recommend a wide angle lens for my Sony a6000. I'm outdoor landscapes, will be for occasional use at best, in conjunctions my 16-70 mm. No adapters, prime or zoom, $500 new or used, would rent but going on couple of trips for weeks might as well buy. Thanks  Coast  :)

I really like that E 10-18mm F4 OSS.

It takes some time to get used to those ultra-wide angles and I mostly use it in cities to complement that 16-70 and for rather special compositions.

For landscapes, the short end of the 16-70 is usually fine, and if I need wider I'll very often stitch panoramas (or if very lazy, use the A6000's pano function).

Have a look at the 10-18mm thread under this section of the forum for some nice sample photos.

+1 for the 10-18/4 lens.  It produces excellent results and is somewhat full frame compatible, if you go FF in the future.

I have the 10-18 lens for my Nex-7. Works great, I've never had any complaints.  It is small, constant F4, OSS and silent AF.  It is a very capable lens.

You could get the 16mm pancake lens.  They work ok...I personally, don't like them. But they work and can be found cheap.  They also fit the fisheye and ultrawide adapters (the old, original adapters).  The 16mm is super small. The fisheye adapter can also be found cheap and can be fun to use.

If you wanted to get complicated, you could get the LA-EA2 adapter and a Sigma ultrawide zoom, like the 8-16mm zoom (A-mount)

review: http://kurtmunger.com/sigma_8_16mmid308.html

That is the widest APS-C lens I've seen, with AF and not a fisheye.  Yes it is much larger than the 10-18 and adds a bit of complexity with the LA-EA2, but it is very very wide.  So that might be worth checking out.

The 10mm end of the 10-18 is equivalent to 15mm on FF and sometimes, for me, that is too wide.

I want to first thank all the very knowledgable and useful reply's from this forum, I'm glad to be here. The winner is:  Rokinon 12mm 2.0. One of my criteria; occasional use at best, another under $500. I also like the speed, f 2 in conjunction w the f 4 of my 16-70. Thanks again   Coast  :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'll second the recommendations for the Rokinon 12mm. If you are going to do any astrophotography, don't bother with the 10-18, BTW. Although it isn't that wide, consider the Sigma 19mm as well. You could get both that and the Rokinon for right around $500. Stay away from the 16mm pancake. It isn't sharp and the colors are very blah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My default lens I keep my a6000 which I carry daily is the Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA which is equivalent to 36mm full frame.

If you were looking for 35mm APC (52.5mm FF) then the Sony 35mm f/1.8 OSS is hard to beat. 

Sigma's new 30mm f/1.4 looks like a contender as well.  If I stay with Sony APS-C, I'll probably get that one to replace the Sigma 30/2.8 I have now. The extra 2 stops can come in mighty handy for me.