Is FE 24mm F1.4 GM too good for an A7III ?

Hi

I own a A7III  and , after reading a lot of reviews, am considering getting the FE 24mm F1.4 GM do do some lanscape & Street photgraphy.

I understand that GM lenses are considered as Superior lenses  

Do you think that lens is too good for an A7III?

if yes, can you advise any alternatives

thanks !!!

IS

I don’t own the A7iii, but my first Sony was the A7ii and I also own an A7Riii.  I have several GM lenses, but the 24GM is my new favorite.  I still have and use the 16-35 f2.8 GM.  But the 24GM is one stop faster and much lighter.  My other favorite lens is the 24-105 f4.  This is the most versatile lens I own.  If I had to choose only one lens, this would be the one to take.  For street photography, this is the go to lens.  You have to get really close for a good shot with the 24mm.  The 24-105 is great for street photography.  Set the ISO to auto with a range of ISO 100 to a max of 6000 and you will get some outstanding shots with minimum noise.  For a very versatile and effective travel kit, for with A7iii body, 24-105 f4, and 24GM.  If there are budget concerns, just get the 24–105.  

Thanks Steve.

yeah considering you have the A7RIII, which is a superior quality camera at 42mp it makes sense that you are combining it with the G and GM series. Good combo you did !
I would appreciate your opinion on combining such a  high quality lens with the A7III , whicH is only 24mp ? Don’t you think these lenses are not being used to their potential when pairing it with the A7III?

thank you very much for the reply 

About your quality of image. Between a 35mm film camera and your 35mm censor the film camera wins. Why? Because You can take that film and convert it to digital ( which is what people with film cameras are doing and why you see them being used still ).

The censor size v. film is another theory in itself. Lets say you was recording in 4K it is not going to make a difference because 4K is way more smaller then any MP your camera is using.

However in terms of detailed gained v. detail loss via the MP it is not going to make a difference. Maybe in print it will but again the extra MP is for Crop-factor and ignoring loss. In terms of

Printing

Viewing on a 300dpi display and machine that can handle it unlike my 72dpi labtop.

.........................................................................................................................

Think this way. Within that 40MP or 60MP you have multiple 20MP images and only side by side ( resizing down the 40MP ) you would be able to spot the differences.

Another factor is post production ( retouching ) via Capture 1, Lightroom, Camera RAW ( which is what I use ),  and many other machines. In post you would be able to get the most out of that 160MP electronic back end with the giant medium frame lens sensor.

In the case of over exposing. Your argument is correct when it comes to retouching and the "digital development room"

.........................................................................................................................

Okay GM G OSS etc are only different in build quality and usability.

For example I am using a 35mm Samyang and thus able to get close enough to a subject ( at eye point view ) even closer then  I would with a normal GM, or non Official SONY model. However when recording I notice flickering of reds and blacks ( not noticeable too much but is a problem you see with video even on the news which uses a variety of lens and cameras LIVE tv ) but with the GM lens I have I do not spot those reds in the blacks via video. Again the Samyang 35mm is not weatherproof but again I used it for a job inside of a venue, which is why I purchased it.

Another factor  is the amount of "glass" lens the image passes through and other sciences. Your paying for those extra ( elements ??? ) to get a clearer image.  So I might have the superior lens with the superior camera but does not mean I am able to walk by unnoticeable. I AM LITERALLY CRAWLING ON THE FLOOR with an G 70-400 trying to capture singers etc . While heavy is good even the sacrifice of FE lens might be too much

You can take the same exact lens ( even older SEARS lens or legendary lens ) and still be able to make use of that 40MP sensor and get pin point beautiful shots.

However in short what I have experienced so far is that yes the GM lens do make a differences with the official camera systems but the same shot and details could be achieved. 

Honest to gosh I am still looking at that Nikon 5D camera that is only 20MP. I really want to see if the ISO capabilities are spot on even the MP is only 20MP.

The sensor in the A3 is very good. The lens quality and the sensor quality combined determine the image quality. If you improve the quality of either, image quality improves. The question you should be asking is: "Is the improvement in image quality significant enough (clearly observable) to me to justify the cost of buying the new lens?"

On 11/27/2019 at 11:11 PM, ICONcatcher said:

Thanks Steve.

yeah considering you have the A7RIII, which is a superior quality camera at 42mp it makes sense that you are combining it with the G and GM series. Good combo you did !
I would appreciate your opinion on combining such a  high quality lens with the A7III , whicH is only 24mp ? Don’t you think these lenses are not being used to their potential when pairing it with the A7III?

I feel the A7 m3 is one of the best cameras in the world right now with the A7R m4 the best.  My philosophy has always been the same when buying digital camera gear (starting in 2008 with a Canon 40D): Buy the best glass you can then get a camera body with the money you have left over.  Camera bodies come and go depending on technology.  But good glass will last a lifetime.  I will say I have replaced a few lenses as better models become available.  The 24mm GM is a good example.  Sony was slow to offer the native 24mm option so I got the Zeiss Batis 25mm f2 when it was offered.  When the Sony 24 GM was offered about a year ago, it got stellar ratings.  So this summer I sold the Batis and ordered the Sony GM.  A similar situation happened with the Sony 100-400 GM.  I bought a Canon 100-400 L because the Sony option was not yet available.  In both cases, when I sold the older lenses, I lost a small amount.  But high quality lenses (L glass for Canon and GM for Sony) will always be in demand.

As for a head to head comparison between Sony A7 m3 and A7 R m4 (or m3), more MP on the sensor give better digital images, but when “developed” and converted to JPG, I don’t think there is much difference.  What a high MP sensor allows you is to crop and still have enough MP remaining for a decent JPG without noise.  I just returned form a vacation to Ireland.  I didn’t have the Sony 24 GM yet, but my favorite image was with the Sony 24-105 lens on the A7 m2 body.  I printed it on a 12 by 24 metal print and it looks fantastic.

If you are wanting good advice, look at a reputable sources like Ken Rockwell.  Dustin Abbott also does detailed reviews for cameras and lenses.

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2019 at 11:11 PM, ICONcatcher said:

Thanks Steve.

Did you get the lens yet? I have been eyeing it for a year & just got it recently to pair with a7iii, amazing combo. In terms of videography potential, you got to shoot at 24fps 4k to see the full benefit, thats when the a7iii uses the whole 24mp sensor, I made a video & 1 more coming on the channel but it's 1080p, in which case it's the user's fault(mine) for not taking the full advantage of this combo. Will try the 4k soon.