SEL1670Z: Serial number

ygoe

I've found posts around the internet that the serial number sticker may come off of the lens after a short time. I'm wondering whether the serial number of the lens is also attached to it more permanently, like engraved.

There is an unidentified number engraved at the front of it, it's 8 digits (the serial on the sticker and the box has 7 digits) and completely different. Google doesn't find that number so it's probably not a model number. Does my lens have two serial numbers? Is that because of the Zeiss branding? (The SEL1018 doesn't have a number at the front, just the sticker at the bottom.) Some Amazon images show "00000000" at that place, maybe it's a rendered image. Other web images have smaller numbers than mine ("455xxxxx").

My Canon lenses (and others) only have the number engraved.

i had big problems with the serial number because the sticker was lost and a warranty repair from my FE 35F28Z could not done fast because of that 

good to write down the serial number or hold the box 

if you buy a lens used take care the serial number is still available  

the engraved number in the lens barrel is not the serial number

How can I read that data from the EXIF data? I can't find it in IrfanView or Lightroom. Photoshop won't open these files, it's too old and there are no upgrades available anymore. Affinity Photo doesn't show any file properties.

There's no serial number in the EXIF data visible to IrfanView. I know the E hotkey. Canon cameras have a camera serial number, but Sony doesn't have anything. Maybe it's hidden in the MakerNote and IrfanView can't decode it.