Part Number(s)

• 2 months later...

Many thanks for your input.

Yes I have been trying UK sites to no avail, Sony wanted far too much money for this Old Codger.

I am contemplating purchasing a Monitor fixed to a bracket and would come in much cheaper I think.

Many tanks for your kindness.

You are welcome, but I think you should just get a replacement LCD screen from eBay.  It's probably the most cost effective option for you and the replacement procedure looks pretty straight forward.   There is a video on YouTube to familiarize yourself with the procedure:

Morning Tadwill

Thanks for your input.  Update at the moment is that I purchased a new screen and followed the instructions on the video which was very straight forward, even for this 81 year old, thank you.

Screen failed to function so I took pics and sent it to Sony in Wales an address I found in Google, and they we very kind and replied next day saying, looking at the pics it looked like the lead from the main body of the camera was faulty as it was twisted.

I did use this screen in man positions while taking pics close to the ground so I think that this may have added to the problem, Sony would then say it looked overworked or similar reason for the screen failing in the first place.

They advised that I sent all parts to them so that they could inspect and then quote a price.

At the moment I just cannot find the will to send the camera to them to be told that it would, as first one company quoted a price of £300+.  This 80odd year old does not have money to allocate to my hobby.

Many thanks and kind regard to all.

Too bad the new screen replacement did not do the job but reading on the web about the screen replacement and related subject, the culprit could be the ribbon cable that connects the LCD screen to the camera body.  The replacement ribbon cable costs a bit more than the LCD screen but it might solve the problem with your camera.  I don't see a YouTube video for your camera but I see some for the later E mount bodies.  Looking at them should give you some idea how to go about replacing yours.

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-sony-a77-flex-cable-lcd.html

Many thanks for your valued input.  I have reached the point that one part of me is saying I should have sent the camera to Sony's workshop in the first place, and then there is another thought of the fright of the 'final cost' at the end of the day.

I think that it was not a good idea of Sony to have the screen 'hinged' as much as it was, very handy for my type of photography, but as I think this has twisted the ribbon and caused the fault where the ribbon connect to the camera body, which the picture I sent to Sony showed, also as  Sony Workshops in Wales said which says that this has happened before, in my humble opinion this fault in design should have been a 'recall by Sony' to rectify before this major fault caused this failure.  

May I say that this is only the opinion of an 80+ year old customer but as we know these big companies are no longer as interested in their customers as in the olden days.

Are you taking notes Sony?

Kind regards to all.

These old cameras are not worth having serviced by any authorized service centre.  The cost of repair almost always exceed it's replacement cost (buying a used body online or locally) sometimes by substantial margins.  You used the articulating LCD screen quite extensively causing the ribbon cable to eventually fray and short out.  I seldom use the articulating LCD but it sure is handy in certain situations where I can't look through the viewfinder.

I still think you should try replacing the ribbon cable, given that the cost of DIY replacements of both the LCD screen and the ribbon cable is still far less than any of the other alternatives you have mentioned here. 

As mentioned, these sell on EBAY for $100-300.  Save your current body for parts in the future -- assuming you want to stay with that camera -- or sell it on EBAY and recoup some of your expense.  Believe it or not, some people never use the rear panels and are happy with just the viewfinder.

Edited by XKAES

Many thanks for your valued comment about the concerns I have for the LCD Screen failing on my A77 M2.

On 6/30/2022 at 9:00 PM, tadwil said:

These old cameras are not worth having serviced by any authorized service centre.  The cost of repair almost always exceed it's replacement cost (buying a used body online or locally) sometimes by substantial margins.  You used the articulating LCD screen quite extensively causing the ribbon cable to eventually fray and short out.  I seldom use the articulating LCD but it sure is handy in certain situations where I can't look through the viewfinder.

I still think you should try replacing the ribbon cable, given that the cost of DIY replacements of both the LCD screen and the ribbon cable is still far less than any of the other alternatives you have mentioned here. 

Many thanks for your valued comment about the concerns I have for the LCD Screen failing on my A77 M2.

I will try to purchase a new ribbon and fit myself sometime in the future when I manage to save up enough money, here in Britain the cost of living as in many other countries of the world is rising to very high levels, and I have to invest accordingly.

Just to remind you I am in my 80s and a retired bus driver so I can only reap what I sow.

Kind regards.

On 6/30/2022 at 9:42 PM, XKAES said:

As mentioned, these sell on EBAY for $100-300.  Save your current body for parts in the future -- assuming you want to stay with that camera -- or sell it on EBAY and recoup some of your expense.  Believe it or not, some people never use the rear panels and are happy with just the viewfinder.

I will try to purchase a new ribbon and fit myself sometime in the future when I manage to save up enough money, here in Britain the cost of living as in many other countries of the world is rising to very high levels, and I have to invest accordingly.

Just to remind you I am in my 80s and a retired bus driver so I can only reap what I sow.

Kind regards

Good luck.  Those ribbon cables are usually incredibly small and difficult to attach even with experience -- and steady hands.  I've been trying to reattach one on a Minolta A2 -- several times -- with no luck.  Not easy with unsteady hands like mine.

Edited by XKAES

Many thanks for your valued comments.   After removing and assembling my LCD screen I was disappointed to find that it did not bring my screen back to life, but in reality after I wrote to Sony in the Welsh Workshops, and sending pics as attachments of the parts, they  very kindly said that the fault probably was the cable that was quite twisted, that was the likely fault.

Which saddened me, as I thought that being a hinged LCD Screen they would have made the ribbon last a little longer that it has done.

I have decided that I accept defeat and try and use the camera looking through the eyepiece, and as I wear glasses makes the viewing a little more tricky.

Many thanks and kind regards...

There are lots of adjustable LCD screens that have thin cables -- not just Sony.  The rear screen on the Minolta A1 and A2 was the weak link in the camera.  So many failed while under warranty that they produced the A200 -- which is the same as the A2, but without an adjustable screen.

Thanks for your comments.

Disappointing that customers are left with design faults and problems generated at the Sony Factory, which really annoys this Old Codger.

I am now stuck with a camera which contains a 'design fault' and is past warranty, and tough on the customer.

Should be a recall by Sony to replace the ribbon, or at least help with the costings.

Kind regards and Happy 4th July to yourself and fellow country folk.

On my Minolta A2 -- very nice camera --the electronic viewfinder died (flimsy cable). but the LCD panel works great -- so I use it solely as a studio camera, on a tripod, where I don't use the electronic viewfinder.

An excellent idea using it as a studio camera, it is a shame that these expensive cameras, are fitted with such flimsy ribbons.  

I was going to write an email to the CEO and express my frustration but I think that it would fall on deaf ears, but as I say 'nothing ventured etc'  at least I would get it off my chest.

Kind regards...

As mentioned earlier, some people with this problem continue to use the camera only with the viewfinder.  There are others that just use it connected to a external/computer/video/LED screen.  Others sell it -- someone will probably buy it -- and get a replacement or an upgrade.  I suppose there are some that donate it for a tax write off or give it to a deserving young relative who has an interest in photography.

I could go on.  Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

Many thanks for your valued comments...

Sony should be proud of the products that they produce for the joy of retired people like myself for instance, and other lovers of photography and not to design an adjustable LCD with a 'design fault' not a good advert in my view. There should be a sign saying 'use at your peril' as constant use will destroy the cables inside.

Owners should not have to, as you say:  use it connected to a external/computer/video/LED screen.

Again I remind forum readers that when you reach the gateway in life of your mid-eighties this is the last thing you should have to worry about.

Kind regards

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2022 at 8:41 AM, RetiredTD said:

Many thanks for your valued comments...

Sony should be proud of the products that they produce for the joy of retired people like myself for instance, and other lovers of photography and not to design an adjustable LCD with a 'design fault' not a good advert in my view. There should be a sign saying 'use at your peril' as constant use will destroy the cables inside.

Owners should not have to, as you say:  use it connected to a external/computer/video/LED screen.

Again I remind forum readers that when you reach the gateway in life of your mid-eighties this is the last thing you should have to worry about.

Kind regards

Good morning,

Update:  I have purchased a Feelworld Master Monitor to work with my Sony A77 MK2 to replace the LCD screen and now I am able to operate the camera and the screen is a little larger than the original LCD screen and I am delighted.

But I have a problem that many of your good selves may just have encountered.

The cable which connects the camera to the monitor is a RS PRO 4k male HDMI to Male Micro HDMI Cable.

The issues that I have encountered is with the connection plug to the camera itself namely (Male Micro HDMI) which due to the stiffness of the cable, which is less than 1m long, it flexes with the plug and breaks away from the cable plug which to be honest looks like a poor design in itself.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Robert 

You should look for a shorter HDMI to Micro HDMI cable with an L shaped Micro HDMI connection. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Seadream-2Pack-Degree-Angle-Connector/dp/B071L7N7LH/ref=sr_1_7?crid=4YT28QI9VGSI&keywords=right%2Bangle%2Bshort%2Bmicro%2Bhdmi%2Bcable&qid=1661392765&sprefix=right%2Bangled%2Bshort%2Bmicro%2Bhdmi%2Bcable%2Caps%2C122&sr=8-7&th=1

Measure the cable length needed from the monitor to the camera with about 10cm slack and get these right angled micro HDMI cable that is of appropriate length for your camera/monitor combination. 

The trick though is to secure the cable near the micro HDMI connector to something that is rigid so the connection won't come lose when you happen to move about.  It's almost impossible to find a dedicated l-bracket for your camera now but there are some very affordable universal l-brackets that sort of fit, that you can try.

https://www.amazon.ca/Koolehaoda-Universal-Release-Bracket-Standard/dp/B00MVFZZWU/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3ZKD4NTAJNSX&keywords=universal+l+bracket+camera&qid=1661394384&sprefix=universal+l-%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-8

If you can secure the HDMI cable to the vertical mount portion of the l-bracket with some hook and loop cable ties and more or less keep the cable connected to the camera semi-permanently,  The L-bracket adds some weight to your camera set up but your cables would be well secured.

tadwil

Many thanks for your input which has taken some time to put together.

Your comments describe me the somewhat  complex nature of this connection and describe in detail how to "make secure" the cable and bracket which I will source in the near future.

I thank you once again for your help of which I appretiate a great deal.

Kind regards.