Camera and lens recommendation for trip to South Africa

I have a long time friend who is going on a trip to South Africa and asked me for a camera recommendation.  He want to spend under $1000 (US).  I don't have experience with Sony A mount and have owned a Sony E mount for only one year.  So I need some help from the A mount forum community.

My initial thoughts are to go for used equipment since he will probably sell after this trip.  His budget rules out new equipment I think.  Renting everything is also an option, but this will probably cost more overall.  He is not experienced so I think he will shoot in auto and stay away from manual.  So I don't think adapted lenses are an option.

Here is what I came up with:

• Sony A77 II used about $700
  • Sony DT 18-55 f3.5-5.6 used at about $120
  • Sony 55-300 f3.5-5.6 used at about $180

I think he will be doing some sight seeing photos (people, building, landscapes, etc) and some animal photos where a fairly long telephoto would be required.

Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Why not the 18-135 instead of the 18-55?  It can be found used for under 200.

Or for about $100 more you can get the 16-105, which is apparently a better quality lens (can't speak from experience).  And the extra 2mm on the wide end is actually a really big difference when shooting buildings and landscapes.

I think either of these would be better choices for travel than the 18-55.

Also, if he needs lenses AND camera, then why does it have to be A-mount?  He can literally get anything: A-, E-, "other".

Not that there's anything wrong with A-mount.  I actually tried the A77 II recently, and almost regret getting the A6000.  I considered trading in, until I realized the difference in price.  Now there's the new choice of the A6300.  I think the final deciding factor for me is going to be the price of the SEL70200GM (If they ever tell us).

Also, where are you finding an A77 II for $700?  I can't find it for less than $850, for one that's got blemishes.  Like New is at least $900.

Guest all8

How about an RX10 ii?

Second that on the RX10 ii, there is a mark 3 that has 24-600mm zoom (but its a bit more expensive). Pano/Leica has something similar, 25-400mm.

Or one of the RX100's.

Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas.  I went with the RX-10 Mk III for my recommendation.  I felt that an inexperienced photographer would have a better photo experience with a point and shoot like the RX-10.  And since the Mk III has a 600mm (equivalent) capability, this seems like a must for wildlife.  I saw that lensrentals.com has the Mk III for $221 for a three week rental.

Great choice. If he does any video, he should buy 64 GB SDXC cards and set video to XAVC-S 4K. The RX10 models have built-in ND filters which are very helpful for video.

Your friend should also pay attention to batteries. Hopefully he can rent one or two extras and a charger. I hope his trip is memorable.