Off Camera Flash with A6000

I have a Sony a6000, a Sony ADP-MAA shoe adapter and a HVL56 am wireless flash unit.  Any ideas on how I can synch the flash so that I can use it wirelessly off camera.  Or do I need another bit of kit – if so any recommendations welcomed. (The flash worked perfectly off camera with my A77.)  

I was trying to figure out the same thing with my Nissin i40 flash. It looks like Sony only supports wireless triggering with the flashes intended for use with the newer e-mount gear. The pop-up flash also will not wirelessly trigger a flash. The only work-around I've found is to get a set of radio triggers like these from Photo King.

Pixel King Wireless TTL Flash Trigger for Sony (Kit) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VX7FF9U/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_mR7KvbW8W2AJ7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Sony a6000, a Sony ADP-MAA shoe adapter and a HVL56 am wireless flash unit. Any ideas on how I can synch the flash so that I can use it wirelessly off camera.

The internal flash cannot work as Sony TTL wireless master.

You have to buy a second flash.

The HVL56 AM (is it the AM?) can be used as both, master and slave.

Therefore you need a master or a slave.

Only a Master: HVL-20M (with some limitations)

Only a Slave: Nissin i40, Metz 44AF-1

Both: Sony HVL-56M, -65M, Metz 52AF-1, Metz 58 AF-1

I use a Metz 52AF-1 as master and two Nissin i40 as slaves.

I've used Pixel TF-373 Soldier radio transmitter and receiver. Works with the old shoe connection, and your ADP-MAA. Price for a pair is $32. I find this is the cheapest way to get off camera flash, but I hardly use flash. I'm sure there are more professional options. (aren't there always!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I too am new to the A6000, having upgraded from the NEX 6.  I bought a Nissan i40 also, so I would have something more powerful than the pop up (and save battery usage). After some experimentation, I can trigger the i40 off-camera using the pop-up flash.  To do this the A6000 has to be set to it's Wireless setting with flash (had the setting dial of Nissin set on TTL [not sure if this is/was a mandatory step]) on the hotshot and fired off a shot.  Then I took the i40 off the camera, place the dial on the i40 to Sf, set it across the room.  Fired up the 6000, posed the internal flash, clicked the shutter, and bang - the i40 fired remotely.  How much control info is transmitted between the two I'm not sure yet; more tests needed.  

But it is nice to be able to use the i40 remotely.  Since I have only this one flash, I can't verify this, but I think the i40 (and maybe other flashes ) need to be mounted to the camera's hotshot first, then select the 'wireless' command from the A6000's menu to engage sync communication.  

Lucky you. Unfortunately I tried your tip using my Minolta 3600HS but it doesn't work.

The 3600HS has TTL and wireless capability too.

I too am new to the A6000, having upgraded from the NEX 6.  I bought a Nissan i40 also, so I would have something more powerful than the pop up (and save battery usage). After some experimentation, I can trigger the i40 off-camera using the pop-up flash.  ....

Only the Sony HVL-F20M, HVL-F32M, HVL-F43M and HVL-F60M can trigger TTL WL flash without an adapter

With an ADP-MAA adapter, only the Sony HVL-F20AM, HVL-F43AM or HVL-F58AM can do the same

Al of the above actually control WL TTL, HSS for the remotes and the most advanced (43 or 58/60) can also control WL ratio between your on-camera and remote flashes.

The Sony HVL-F36AM (or Minolta 3600HS(D)), Sony HVL-F42AM, HVL-F56AM (or Minolta 5600HS(D) can only be used as WL slaves with the above but retain TTL, HSS etc

Contrary to what was said above, the HVL-F56AM can NOT control WL flash from your A6000 or any other digital camera. The confusion often arises since when this flash was introduced as a Minolta model back in 2001 as the Minolta 5600HS(D), it could control WL flash + ratio on FILM cameras. With the introduction of digital cameras it can not anymore.

Lucky you. Unfortunately I tried your tip using my Minolta 3600HS but it doesn't work.

The 3600HS has TTL and wireless capability too.

The Nissin has what is called an optical receiver that works in Manual flash mode only ( this technology dates back to the 1970's). This is why the built-in flash can trigger it but because of the pre-flash of the camera this may seem like working but a lot of people realize later that the trigger emits the flash BEFORE the exposure thus is useless unless there is a mode to bypass the pre-flash the camera flash emits

You will need to learn about Guide numbers and flash to subject distances to make it work .

No TTL available in WL there.

). After some experimentation, I can trigger the i40 off-camera using the pop-up flash. To do this the A6000 has to be set to it's Wireless setting with flash (had the setting dial of Nissin set on TTL [not sure if this is/was a mandatory step]) on the hotshot and fired off a shot. Then I took the i40 off the camera, place the dial on the i40 to Sf, set it across the room. Fired up the 6000, posed the internal flash, clicked the shutter, and bang - the i40 fired remotely. How much control info is transmitted between the two I'm not sure yet; more tests needed.

You don't need to put the Nissin on the camera. SF and SD on the Nissin are Manual slave modes. The dial on the nissin gives the intensity.

SF is used if the camera flash is not TTL, otherwise SD is needed to ignore preflash.

The Nissin has what is called an optical receiver that works in Manual flash mode only...

No TTL available in WL there.

The Nissin can work in TTL mode on the camera and as slave of a TTL Master (not the popup flash of the A6000) as well as a manual slave.

• 4 weeks later...