leclipselumiere

Sony 70-200 f/2.8 GM Motor Noise when start-up/turn off

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Sony Alpha Forums,

I would like to ask. During startup/turning off the camera with Sony 70-200 f/2.8 GM lens attached, is it normal to hear a short rattling noise from the lens?

During auto-focus, the lens doing just fine. But when start-up/turn off, I heard a short vibration/rattling noise from the lens.

The noise is similar like the rattling noise when Sony Alpha is in self-cleaning mode.

From what I observe, it's a mechanism inside the lens which open/close the aperture.

Is this noise normal?

Looking forward to your advice. 

On 5/23/2018 at 1:55 PM, leclipselumiere said:

Hi Sony Alpha Forums,

I would like to ask. During startup/turning off the camera with Sony 70-200 f/2.8 GM lens attached, is it normal to hear a short rattling noise from the lens?

During auto-focus, the lens doing just fine. But when start-up/turn off, I heard a short vibration/rattling noise from the lens.

The noise is similar like the rattling noise when Sony Alpha is in self-cleaning mode.

From what I observe, it's a mechanism inside the lens which open/close the aperture.

Is this noise normal?

Looking forward to your advice. 

Hi,

I bought the same lens a week ago and it has the same noise. It's like a short rattle on startup/shutoff. I've also noticed that if you turn off exposure preview in camera, it rattles everytime you focus - wich is kinda annoying. When exposure preview is on, it only rattles during startup/shutoff. 

Another thing is that it focuses kinda slow when in AF-S mode. I think this is because it only uses contrast detection in that mode. When in AF-C, it focuses very fast. 

I use mine with the A7RII. 

Edited by Hallestrand

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• The most likely cause is the CMOS sensor.
    • Windows Screen capture on the video playback. I can see the red line on the screen at the back of the camera as well. Does the camera uses a separate chip/processor to do the readout of 4k video? Maybe the hardware for that task has issue. I may have to contact sony on this. The camera has been purchased more than a year ago though. Does anyone has any experience with Sony customer support on this sort of stuff?
    • Is that a pic of the screen or actual video? A continuous line top to bottom is a problem with that particular circuit either on the monitor or sensor. (Had to exchange mine because it developed a group of purple pixels only in 4K 3 weeks after purchase.)
    • Takes me back fifty years to student days. We got into this habit: one of us would start on some topic we knew little about, we'd flounder around for a few minutes, and end up chorusing, "Buy a book on it!" And hey, very often we did. Those days, there was no internet, no google and no youtube. That was great for the book trade! Have to say, though, that with a new, complex camera, my first instinct is still to get the book. An actual, printed book. I consider it a shame that they don'
    • Hi folks, just switched to Sony from Nikon. On my D850 the lcd was used to see the shot just taken and the viewfinder to aim focus and shoot. It seems the two are tied together on the a9ii, and they switch magically when you're eye presses up against the viewfinder, kind of neat. However when doing so there seems to be a lag time as to when I see the single focus point again and can get locked back on my subject, not a huge lag but enough so it seems I lose my subject, especially birds in flight