Sony 70-200 f/2.8 GM Motor Noise when start-up/turn off

Hi Sony Alpha Forums,

I would like to ask. During startup/turning off the camera with Sony 70-200 f/2.8 GM lens attached, is it normal to hear a short rattling noise from the lens?

During auto-focus, the lens doing just fine. But when start-up/turn off, I heard a short vibration/rattling noise from the lens.

The noise is similar like the rattling noise when Sony Alpha is in self-cleaning mode.

From what I observe, it's a mechanism inside the lens which open/close the aperture.

Is this noise normal?

Looking forward to your advice. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2018 at 1:55 PM, leclipselumiere said:

Hi Sony Alpha Forums,

I would like to ask. During startup/turning off the camera with Sony 70-200 f/2.8 GM lens attached, is it normal to hear a short rattling noise from the lens?

During auto-focus, the lens doing just fine. But when start-up/turn off, I heard a short vibration/rattling noise from the lens.

The noise is similar like the rattling noise when Sony Alpha is in self-cleaning mode.

From what I observe, it's a mechanism inside the lens which open/close the aperture.

Is this noise normal?

Looking forward to your advice. 

Hi,

I bought the same lens a week ago and it has the same noise. It's like a short rattle on startup/shutoff. I've also noticed that if you turn off exposure preview in camera, it rattles everytime you focus - wich is kinda annoying. When exposure preview is on, it only rattles during startup/shutoff. 

Another thing is that it focuses kinda slow when in AF-S mode. I think this is because it only uses contrast detection in that mode. When in AF-C, it focuses very fast. 

I use mine with the A7RII. 

Edited by Hallestrand

• 1 year later...