from nikon to sony

Hello everyone,

I write from Italy, I would sell my nikon and go to sony a7r (or a7ii), would like to know what are the differences that are waiting for me.

I saw on the website that there are few optical sony sony e-mount currently available (many lenses I own I can not adapt because they have the ring diaphragms also lose the automatic maf)

I also did not clear the autonomy of shots with each battery and reliability of the camera (number of shots shutter guaranteed).

So I would like to clarify some doubts to better address this "change"

The Sony shutter will outlast some Nikons, but other

Nikons will outlast the Sony. 

As a Sony user, who uses mainly Nikkor lenses, the

one thing that temps me to use a Nikon body is that

all the Nikons I have encountered can shoot directly

to tiff files. Sony does not offer that. 

AFAIK, 99% of Nikon lenses can be adapted to any

mirrorless live-view camera body. Obviously, if your

Nikon lenses are crop format, some practicality will

be sacrificed if you adapt them to the A7 series.

There are sure to be other differences that might be

obstacles to your intentions. I strongly suggest that

you not sell the Nikon gear until you've had the Sony

in regular use for at least a full year. For one thing,

only time will tell how useful the lenses might prove

for your needs when adapted to the A7. 

And finally, the battery. Any Nikon [or Canon] SLR

will run almost forever on one battery compared to

the appetite of any Sony Nex, A6000, or A7 series.   

All these use the same tiny battery that, in my use,

has proved itself equal to about five rolls of 35mm

film. Battery life is THE universal complaint of Sony

users. Limited selection of lenses is also a major

issue for many, but not a UNIVERSAL complaint,

as is battery life.

I just sold all my Nikon gear and purchased the Sony A7II and an A6000 (For my wife).  Love them both and never looked back.  Very happy with everything about the Sony A7II.  The customization certainly helped with the transition, button layout etc.  Took a few days before I was used to the size and button placement changes.  Just amazing photos from this camera.

All good points above.  I have found the battery life to be a none issue for me.  If I'm out for a day of shooting I carry an extra battery, depends on how many shots, but I get from 200 - 400 shots on a battery depending on shooting style.

The Sony shutter will outlast some Nikons, but other

Nikons will outlast the Sony. 

As a Sony user, who uses mainly Nikkor lenses, the

one thing that temps me to use a Nikon body is that

all the Nikons I have encountered can shoot directly

to tiff files. Sony does not offer that. 

AFAIK, 99% of Nikon lenses can be adapted to any

mirrorless live-view camera body. Obviously, if your

Nikon lenses are crop format, some practicality will

be sacrificed if you adapt them to the A7 series.

There are sure to be other differences that might be

obstacles to your intentions. I strongly suggest that

you not sell the Nikon gear until you've had the Sony

in regular use for at least a full year. For one thing,

only time will tell how useful the lenses might prove

for your needs when adapted to the A7. 

And finally, the battery. Any Nikon [or Canon] SLR

will run almost forever on one battery compared to

the appetite of any Sony Nex, A6000, or A7 series.   

All these use the same tiny battery that, in my use,

has proved itself equal to about five rolls of 35mm

film. Battery life is THE universal complaint of Sony

users. Limited selection of lenses is also a major

issue for many, but not a UNIVERSAL complaint,

as is battery life.

First of all, thanks for the reply.

The Nikon AF can be adapted or lose AF automatically from the room even using expensive adapters (as I suppose)?
For the battery is not a problem, I will turn to the limit with 1 or 2 batteries, what I would like to understand is the park goals, I like to photograph landscapes so much I would try an ultra-wide (14-16mm), there are these optics for 'a7? Or should adapt fixed lenses (also dated) by about 20mm and work with them, so as not to unbalance the weight of the body?

While AF-hybrid is really different to use than classic Nikon AF?

I just sold all my Nikon gear and purchased the Sony A7II and an A6000 (For my wife).  Love them both and never looked back.  Very happy with everything about the Sony A7II.  The customization certainly helped with the transition, button layout etc.  Took a few days before I was used to the size and button placement changes.  Just amazing photos from this camera.

All good points above.  I have found the battery life to be a none issue for me.  If I'm out for a day of shooting I carry an extra battery, depends on how many shots, but I get from 200 - 400 shots on a battery depending on shooting style.

You had many Nikon lenses? Can you tell me the pro and negative aspect PHOTOS you've encountered (no weight, only differences in picture)?It stabilized the sensor works well?
Hello and thanks

You had many Nikon lenses? Can you tell me the pro and negative aspect PHOTOS you've encountered (no weight, only differences in picture)?It stabilized the sensor works well?
Hello and thanks

I had a few Nikon lenses (35mm Prime, 18-140mm, 24-70mm, and 18-55mm).

My Nikon took great photos, Auto focus was great, sometimes missed critical focus points. Hand holding in Low/medium light with VR lenses, low shutter 1/25, resulted in a many blurry photos. I rarely use a tripod, like never.

The Sony A7II, I have a few E-Mount lenses (28-70mm Full frame Kit lens, 16-50mm and 55-200mm) all take amazing photos! What I have found I use most on the Sony is the focus peeking and focus magnification.  This feature/process of gaining autofocus then using the manual focus ring to fine tune critical focus on even a single hair is just incredible. The focus peeking color(s) that appear when camera gets a lock is also a great confirmation your subject is in focus.  The EVF is also a huge game changer for me.  It's brilliant!

As stated above, I shoot without a tripod 99% of the time. Low light shots with low shutter speeds result in sharp photos on this Sony A7II.  The in body stabilization is a winner in my book.  I am able to take photos with shutter speeds of 1/5 of a second and reliably obtain sharp images. I bet with better technique I could go down to 1" sec.

I now have both the A7II and a Sony A6000 (wife's camera). We can share lenses, thats another bonus.  The Sony A7II detects the APSC lens perfectly.  You also have the ability to turn your Full Frame lens/camera into an APSC sensor camera.  With the full frame lens on, goto settings change the APSC detection setting.  Just like that you get a further reaching zoom lens (My 70mm turns into a 105mm).  So those that like using an APSC sensor camera can still have the best of both worlds. BTW, I haven't noticed vignetting, haven't tested all focal lengths.

I've been into photography since 1989, seen a lot of changes in gear, other then the addition of "D" in SLR, mirrorless full frame and a great EVF has been huge for me.

Im a "techie" and the Sony A7II feels like it's just "world's" ahead of Nikon/Cannon.  So far ahead, I think Nikon is a co-star in the upcoming Jurassic World movie.  " :o Oh, no he didn't..."