Prices and substitutes. For lenses

Firefenex

I finally got my first lens for my a7, I rushed at the sight of a 35mm 1.8 is a lens for 300 dollars. I wanted a 35 and I bought a 35 relatively cheap. Now if you know the lens you probably realized that is an apsc (crop) lens.

For the less knowledgeable, like me before googling for 30 minutes, that means that this crop lens on my full frame camera will actually be a 52mm lens. You take the sensor size and divide it by the crop factor^2 To get the true mm since they aren't both either crop or full frame. Me being the most frugal person in town realized immediately realized the sony 50 e mount ( the lens I didnt want because my brother already had it) is only 250. So I paid more for almost the exact same focal length. I don't really know the differences in quality to say if the crop is equal or better than my brothers 50mm, if someone can poiint that out that would be great. But the real reason for this post if for future purchases.

Because I don't know the quality differences my next focal length I wanted was 85. I'm a bokeh junkie who tries to do instagram/fashion photography with friends every now and then. So my question Is, should I save my money and get a 85mm full frame, or buy a 50 apsc lens which is around 77mm and rock with that. What's the true advantage of a full frame lens if you can just get an apsc relatively close to the focal length and for less money?

P.s.. if anyone is looking for a 35mm is a I might be willing to sell lol I really want a true 35mm prime for a mix of landscape and other uses.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

`   

Dear Gearhead ..... 

You got everything backwards. 

If gonna chatter like you know 

stuff, it would be most cool to 

actually KNOW the stuff. You

need to read up. If you already

read up, try a literacy tutor. And

also a math tutor. It's not rocket

science. And nothing is "^2". It's

all linear.  

Guest Jaf-Photo

If you're an A7 bokeh junkie on a budget, you should consider using adapted vintage lenses instead of buying crop lenses.

You can easily find very good f1.4 lenses for under $100 that cover the full frame and therefore provides better bokeh. The only downside is that you would have to practice manual focus.

(On the other hand, the A7 has pretty lousy AF anyway.)