Buying a Sony A7RII in 2017? Or wait?

Hello!

I would like to get into the shooting with a full-frame sensor. I am currently using an A58 and am really satisfied with it. However, I am very impressed by the A7RII. Especially the high image quality and the larger sensor as well as the image stabilization are very appealing for me. Also the video quality is amazing. However, I'm not sure if it is still worth buying this camera in 2017? It already has a few years on the hump and possibly even a new version in going to be released soon. Now I wonder whether I should wait for a new version or not? I am already aware that the A7RII is still an awesome camera but I still do not want to invest so much money if there is already a new version in the market within a few months! What would you do in my position?

.........  do not want to invest so much money if there is already

a new version in the market within a few months! What would

you do in my position?

There is ALWAYS a new version ready to be released. 

The designers keep the pipeline filled but the marketing 

departments control the release time ... for competitive 

tactical reasons. The current version is already marked 

down in price. The introduction price is always set to milk 

the early adopter group. There will be rebates etc when

rumors of an imminent new release become widespread 

enuf to slump the sales of the current model, And then as 

the next release actually occurs there will be even further 

savings offered on the "old model".  

So .... you get what you pay for. But what you pay for is 

not simple a given level of hardware. You pay to be one 

of the early adopters, or you pay less to be the patient

buyer of the aging version. Even after the introductory 

[highest] price expires long before the next new release,

you pay for 12 to 18 months use of the extant version ... 

assuming you don't already own and use hardware more

than good enuf to see you thru that 12 to 18 months.   

Just consider what aspects you care to pay for ... then 

pay up, RTFM, and enjoy what YOU choose to pay for.  

If what you choose to pay for is your already-payed-for 

more-than-good-enuf current tool ? Maybe you just love 

technological advances for their own sake ? And acoarst 

there's all the points in between those extremes. It's all 

good. Only YOU know where YOU are on that spectrum.  

Frinstintz ... I had an a58 for three days. Not bad. Almost

kept it ! If I had kept it, and if it were my go-to gear, and if 

I were itching for added capability, perzonally, I'd stay with 

the APSC format, keep my a58's lenses, and adapt them 

to the new a6500 ... cuz lesser models mean losing IBIS. 

Just an example of one person's approach. YMMV, and 

I'm sure it will. Have fun !  

The conventional wisdom is that the next "7" camera (maybe announced in June) will be the A7 iii not the "r" version iii. It might be well into 2018 before we see the next generation "r", after all the current A7r ii  has no immediate competition. My guess (only that) is the "7" cameras will be on sale again for Christmas this year, which would be a good time to pick up the A7r ii for under $2000.

I managed to snag an open box A7r (version 1) before Christmas 2015 from BuyDig for under $1150. They still sell used for that or more.

• 1 month later...

I decided, after much deliberation, baring in mind I am a digital neanderthal and a died in the wool film photographer, that now was the time, so I went for it, and I am really pleased that I did+ Zeiss Sonnar 35mm f2.8, astonishing

What do you do with your current setup? Will you continue to make the same type of photographs? Why do you want to go to full frame? When going to full frame, do you need 42 Megapixels?

I went to the A7RII because I create large wall portraits for families. I need that extra resolution for these large prints. Some others that do the same thing I do use Hasselblads at 100 megapixels. But the file sizes are ginormous. The extra tax on the computer processing in Lightroom and Photoshop is amazing. If I weren't doing this type of photography, I'd go back down in resolution.

Also, I'm very unimpressed with Sony hardware all-together. They're the only mirrorless FF sensor in the game, and I'll never leave mirrorless, so that's why I chose them. But I came from Olympus mirrorless and in my opinion there is no comparison in quality. Again in my opinion, the ONLY thing Sony has over Oly is the sensor/image quality.

Buy one used and start making photos now. 

The tech in that camera is still some of the best available (especially for the price), and if IQ is your primary concern it is so good that whatever improvements might be made will only really be important if you regularly print over 3-4 feet. 

The camera, for me, has been magic since day one. I've been professional over 10 years - have shot Hassy, Leica, Contax, Fuji, Nikon, Rollei etc. The Sony is towards the bottom in terms of sexy design, it is at the top when it comes to actually getting out of the way and letting me make images the way I have them in my head, and being able to make kick ass prints at big sizes, very consistently. 

The A7RII is the first camera ever that I haven't had some sort of frustrating limitation baked into. Even the maligned battery life I find not too bad, especially if you turn off a lot of the useless accessory features that drain the battery. I regularly get 400-500+ images, which is totally fine. 

ahh...scratch that - I'd love to have faster flash sync...aside from that, can't think of anything. 

Will I get the new version whenever it comes out? Only if there is a faster flash sync or a really significant jump in resolution (without sacrificing decent low light capabilities) - a tall order IMO. 

Maybe I'm nuts but I have never waited for technology advances to make a toy purchase.   For me, if it will make me smile today and I can afford it and find it, I get it.   I have a friend who shoots with a 12-yr.-old Nikon D300 DSLR, because he is waiting for the next high-tech crop-sensor Nikon.  Life is short.   GET IT!

Guest Jaf-Photo

Switching to A7RII will be expensive as you'll need new lenses too. If you plan on adapting lenses, I'd say it's not the right camera. It really needs native lenses to make sense.

Think it through. Think about what type of photography you do. Figure out if anything in your current equipment is holding you back. Think about the easiest and most cost-effective way to remedy that.

A7R II will be replaced within a year. If you have a GAS-driven desire to get it now, you'll probably want the replacement camera even more.

I agree with all of the responses so far as they all bring out cogent arguments for and against. All I can add is I sold all my Canon gear 5D2, 1d3, 70-200 L IS II, 24-70 L, 100 macro plus others and a bunch of speedlites to be able to buy this camera the first day it was on sale. Indeed I had to start buying into FE lenses with my sale money too and they are not cheap I might add.
Some might say I went out on a wing and a prayer however I made the right decision and within days there were naysayers and others who were waiting for the "early adopters / idiots" like me to fall flat on our faces... if not that, the price would drop in 6 months and "if I go grey" I'll get it even cheaper etc.
Well here in the UK the price actually went up about 500 squids (a £/$ thingy I think) and then came back to the original price and lately I hear of deals being offered (all the better if you decide to buy one - also bear in mind the the £/$ price may get worse over the next year.
So I have the camera I always wanted and come July 30th this year I'll have had the use of it for 2 YEARS. I frankly don't hanker over newer gear as this camera suites me fine regardless of newer tech arriving which actually doesn't outperform my A7R2 in any way that I choose to use it.

There are cheaper mirrorless offerings out there but in terms of my requirement for FF (had a very old 5D for years) I think my Sony A7RII is still a winner.

Bearing in mind that Newbie / steve2303 posted his post back in April, I doubt he will be reading any of this and has moved on to pastures new without the courtesy of any acknowledgement to any of the posts offering advice, I assume we are all flogging a dead horse here?

Guest Jaf-Photo

We don't know what lenses OP has. But if it is some standard DT lenses, he'll probably be looking at selling the kit for €500. Buying A7RII with the cheapest standard zoom and tele zoom will cost over €5000.

So based on the fact that OP is essentially pleased with his current camera, and that we don't know what he likes to shoot, how can anyone say that he should definitely shell out the €4500 difference on what will be a fairly basic setup?

• 2 weeks later...

(...) The A7RII is the first camera ever that I haven't had some sort of frustrating limitation baked into. Even the maligned battery life I find not too bad, especially if you turn off a lot of the useless accessory features that drain the battery. I regularly get 400-500+ images, which is totally fine. 

Turning off features? Can you elaborate a bit?

Turning off features? Can you elaborate a bit?

You can turn off the continuous autofocus thing so the camera only hunts for focus when you press the shutter button halfway.   With this on, the camera is constantly focusing and will drain the battery faster.

You can turn off the continuous autofocus thing so the camera only hunts for focus when you press the shutter button halfway.   With this on, the camera is constantly focusing and will drain the battery faster.

OK.  Thanks.  If I set Eye Focus on AEL, will the camera only focus when I hit the AEL button (much like an AF On button)?

OK.  Thanks.  If I set Eye Focus on AEL, will the camera only focus when I hit the AEL button (much like an AF On button)?

I think that's right.   I have my C 1 button set to eye focus and I have to have the C 1 pressed at the same time I press the shutter half way for the eye focus to work.   Good luck.   These little cameras are complicated, but they produce outstanding images. 

I think that's right.   I have my C 1 button set to eye focus and I have to have the C 1 pressed at the same time I press the shutter half way for the eye focus to work.   Good luck.   These little cameras are complicated, but they produce outstanding images. 

Would you have an opinion about the f4 "limitation" as mentioned here:

http://www.sonyalphaforum.com/topic/6257-advice-for-shooting-portraits-with-a7rii/?p=28896

Can you wait a year? It's not coming out in 2017.

Hello!

I would like to get into the shooting with a full-frame sensor. I am currently using an A58 and am really satisfied with it. However, I am very impressed by the A7RII. Especially the high image quality and the larger sensor as well as the image stabilization are very appealing for me. Also the video quality is amazing. However, I'm not sure if it is still worth buying this camera in 2017? It already has a few years on the hump and possibly even a new version in going to be released soon. Now I wonder whether I should wait for a new version or not? I am already aware that the A7RII is still an awesome camera but I still do not want to invest so much money if there is already a new version in the market within a few months! What would you do in my position?