Recording audio Sony A7s

Hi

not sure if this is in the correct forum...

I am trying to record external audio on the Sony A7s using the Rode Videomic. I am plugging the microphone directly into the 3.5mm jack input on the camera.

The audio signal picks up fine when the microphone is held in my hand, but as soon as i attach it to the hot shoe, it cuts out and does not record any signal?

I think it might be something do with the fact the hot shoe has connectors on it to take audio signal information (for recorders/microphones that can output via the hotshot) and it appears to be disabling the inout from the microphone input..

If this is the case, is there anyway to disable this happening?

how can i get this working?

any help greatly appreciated 

You could try taping over the contacts. 

There are additional grip handles that have a coldshoe mount, and attach to the ¼-20 hole in the bottom of the body. 

I'm using Sony's ECM-XYST1M, and it works really well for concerts where I might not get board feed to mix in.

JCC

I use a Rode Videomic on an A7R2, and have no problems with it. The A7R2 also has electrical connectors in the hotshoe, but the plastic Rode shoe doesn't appear to affect them. ???

So can't answer, but I don't think it should be cutting out.

Stab in the dark here...  try blowing out the hot shoe with some compressed air, there may be something in there shorting across a connector when you insert the mic?