Giving the 70-300G One Last Try

I wanted to fill out my kit at both ends. So today instead of ordering a 70-400G SSM II A mount on the long end decided to stay native and try ONE last copy of the new 70-300G, which I tried 2 copies of already and they were both bad. I added the wide end with a Sony/Zeiss 16-35 f4. Yeah I know most are troubled with that lens but I've seen so very many great shots taken with it couldn't resist trying one. Just has more versatility than a single prime I guess. I'll be sure to let you know the results of all this tomorrow. Sure hope the 70-300G gets to stay. The others were never sharp at both sides. We shall see........

Oh yeah. I thought I posted here some samples the other day. Also got a 16-35 f4 Sony/Zeiss as well. Indeed the tests confirmed the 70-300G I finally got, the 3rd one, is a GEM. sharp wide open with excellent bokeh and when stopped down to f11-f16 FINALLY gives me sharp sides and corners at 300mm. It was a long an arduous deal but glad I stuck with it. I won't be selling my 70-200G f4 either however as it too is a stellar sharp copy and has it's place. It still does a tad better in lower light and for a moving subject. It's all good....

Oh yeah. I thought I posted here some samples the other day. Also got a 16-35 f4 Sony/Zeiss as well. Indeed the tests confirmed the 70-300G I finally got, the 3rd one, is a GEM. sharp wide open with excellent bokeh and when stopped down to f11-f16 FINALLY gives me sharp sides and corners at 300mm. It was a long an arduous deal but glad I stuck with it. I won't be selling my 70-200G f4 either however as it too is a stellar sharp copy and has it's place. It still does a tad better in lower light and for a moving subject. It's all good....

Roll credits. 

Standing Ovation.

I just luuuurv a happy ending. Doesn't everyone ? 

Sir, you are a model of determination and persistence !

I thought I was done but something kept nagging at me so I decided to give it that last try. Thankfully B&H sent me a good one. Pictureline's both copies were bad. My 1st time out 16-35 was also a winner. Guess I'm on a roll

sure, I thought I had already posted several. These were from my initial testing done. To bad one can't just post full sized images in this window so you'll have to use the link to that which I recommend to fully appreciate the sharpness of the lens. Here is a link to the FULL sized image which tell it all. http://www.pbase.com/traveler/image/163148423/original

large.jpg

sure, I thought I had already posted several. These were from my initial testing done. To bad one can't just post full sized images in this window so you'll have to use the link to that which I recommend to fully appreciate the sharpness of the lens. Here is a link to the FULL sized image which tell it all. http://www.pbase.com/traveler/image/163148423/original

large.jpg

You have me puzzled!  All corners in this not so very good picture are soft.  

You have me puzzled!  All corners in this not so very good picture are soft.  

What I presume you mean is that it's not a particularly good subject matter to demonstrate lens sharpness throughout the whole frame, since the DOF does not extend to the corners.

However, I assume what dcisive intends it to show is that across the focal plane (i.e. within DOF) which approximately traverses the horizontal centre of the FOV, the image is equally sharp at both the left and right edges as it is at the centre.

The same is true of my own copy of the FE 70-300mm, fwiw.