Is the kit lens 28-70 3.5-4 that bad???

Hi everyone, looking for feedback.  I am new to Sony.  I have the A7rii.  It put me back a bit so I haven't bought an auto focus lens yet.  I am living with my 3 Contax G lenses which are nice.  

I have heard bad things about the 24-70 f4 and the new 2.8 is just out of my range and too big.  

I think I will stick to my primes for stills but for video, I just find focusing too difficult.  

If you own the kit lens 28-70, please chime in on whether it is worth it.  Size is important to me, I want it to be small.  I'm not sure there are many options.  

Thanks,

www.seanmacleodart.com

Give the Sigma 24-105mm F4 and MC-11 adapter a look? with MC-11 the lens pretty much becomes native, it is slightly bigger than the 28-70 but building quality is much better as well as its optical performance, and it covers a greater focal range.

i like the FE 28-70 

it is very cheap, 250€ used,  small and very light, only 295g....plastic but nice, the Sigma 24-105 has 895g without adaptor

it is very good at the small end from 28 - 40 IMHO on the long end it could have a little bit more micro contrast and it has only F5,6

at 35mm it is better than the SEL35f18!

OSS work´s great, colors are very nice......so on the long end you must do a little bit PP.... than you have also good pictures

i have the Minolta 28-135AF   also, that is much better on the long end, but heavy 750g

so if i need a zoom in my bag, it is usually the small and light kit lens and i´m happy with handling and the results,

i would say decent from 50-70

but very good from 28-45 like a prime

if you shoot RAW and your subject is very geometric like buildings you have to correct distortion a little bit in PP 

but on the long end the IQ from Sonnar G90 is not in reach of the kit Zoom and its resolving power is not made for the A7RII IMHO

depends what you need

The 28-70 can be had for a very reasonable cost used, $200-$230 or so.  It might be worth buying, using for a couple of months, and then deciding for yourself.  As a kit lens, it is decent.  If you read reviews, many people consider it very close to the 24-70 f4 at 1/4 the cost.  I cannot comment on that as Ive never used the 24-70.

That being said, I sold my 28-70 and invested in the 55 f1.8 and 28 f2.  I wanted the benefit of the quality glass and larger apertures, and am happy with my choice.

I have it and have posted some pics on another thread that i had taken in Italy.  I am very much a novice, but I recently bought a 55F1.8, Loxia 50 and 28F2, I don't think I will ever touch the kit lens again.  I will probably sell mine. 

If you have a decent 50 and 20 something mm you probably will not touch it either.