Camera Shake Indicator

Hello! 

I'm transitioning from a 5D3 to a 7R2 and I have quite a bit to learn. Off the bat there is one thing that puzzles me.   With the settings of Aperture priority and Auto ISO I receive a camera shake warning.  The lens is a Canon 24-70 Mk2 and the aperture setting is 2.8.  I'm in a lighted room.  This doesn't make sense to me.  Is there another setting which is creating this warning?

Charlie

Guest Peter Kelly

The warning is activated through a combination of detected focal length and shutter speed, but not quite as low as you might imagine, just to give a 'safety margin'.

Generally, in Auto ISO, the speed will be kept pretty well to the 1/focal length advice before bumping the ISO and that will always be the 1/60 - 1/80 for that lens indoors (until you bump against the set ISO maximum).

It would have to be a pretty bright room, even at f2.8, to raise the speed over the AS threshold.

Ultimately, though, I just ignore the warning as I know my limits. That said I do have a very steady hand and can quite easily shoot 1/2 at 50mm, but I appreciate that not everyone will be able to do that.

The trick is just to be aware, but not put too much store in the camera warning; it is very pessimistic!