A7II custom white balance issue

Hej hej!

I have an A7II with firmware 2.0 and I'm having the following issue:

In a studio setup I want to set a custom white balance. I use a grey card from xrite.

- When I set/measure the WB using the card, it is off the actual WB measured via Lightroom/CaptureOne/Photoshop (5800K G2 in cam vs 6250K M1 in software)

- When I set the WB manually to 6200K, the raw files I shoot have a WB of 5700K set, when I open them in Lightroom)

This is annoying - has somebody else seen this behavior? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Sebastian

I used EXIFTOOL to read the WB value in the Raw file from an A7m2, it was as set by the custom WB setting. Importing to Capture One caused the WB to change a bit, so the same as Lightroom. My guess is that on import the WB is adjusted slightly according to the Monitor calibration.

Real question is, does the photo look OK? And, if you use the WB selector tool on the photo of the grey card, does that calculated WB also look good on the photo and any others taken in the same light?

Guest Jaf-Photo

WB shifts a bit for me too. But I only use custom WB to get a good starting point for manual adjustments, so I never bothered to look it up further. I also find it useful to use a colour checker with the grey card to get a quick and easy baseline for manual fine tuning. Absolute colour accuracy is not important to me, just a quick route to natural looking colours.