Sony Play Memories Home & A7R MkII

I have used Play Memories Home to download photographs from my A850 and more recently my A7R MkII without problem.  Suddenly, the program does not accept that my camera is attached.  I have tried all the things that I have seen suggested.  Swapped USB ports, used different cables, including the one that came with the camera, un-installed the program from my laptop and re-installed it.  The camera is visible to my laptop, but the program doesn't recognise it.  Has anyone out there had this problem and, if so, how did they solve it?

Hi Counterman, i've been experiencing the exact problem you have , I've spent the whole day trying to resolve this with Sony , the help desk guys seem willing to help but after trying numerous operatives they have all failed to resolve this issue .

My Mac recognizes the camera is connected but still unable to download any apps , a window appears saying that something else is accessing the camera but this isn't the case ??.

The last response I had from Sony was that " sometimes this happens " to which I replied then either fix it or advise potential customers they cannot download apps with the a7rii .

I've looked online and it appears there's a few guys complaining of the same thing , even though Sony insist that this isn't a problem

Hi Rockgod, That's interesting, but a problem if Sony failed to solve the issue.  I have seen odd posts around this, but the suggestion has always been to check/swap the USB port, use the original cable etc.  I've done all that.  Play Memories has worked absolutely fine until this suddenly happened two or three weeks ago.  It's the simple task of loading photos from the camera that I have not been able to do with Play Memories.  Maybe Sony will offer a firmware fix soon.  Let's hope so.  I haven't another camera with which to try, but I know that it recognised a memory stick when I was first trying, albeit not the camera.  Whilst writing this, I have just coupled my Sony Xperia phone, and Play Memories picked that up straight away and was ready to import pictures from it.  So it is possibly purely an A7R II issue.

One thought I've just found online , my camera is unable to connect to the Sony camera App Store as it states something else is connected to the camera , the post I've just read stated that if your Smart Phone has the remote app then it could still be tethered to the camera , therefore stopping another source connect .

I'm not in a position to try this at present but makes sense ??.

So will try ASAP .

Just saying ??????

Sadly, I don't think this will sort it.  I have tried turning off my phone, sand switching my camera to aeroplane mode.  Then I connected a cable and the usual Windows box came up, and I opted to transfer images via Play Memories Home, that program opened, but it said still that no camera was attached.  Again, the camera was recognised by my laptop.

Hi Rockgod:  I found this on the Internet, and it seems to have worked for me:

It seems that resetting the Playmemories Home (PMH) software to it's initial configuration will correct this issue. Follow the steps below to initialize PMH.

IMPORTANT: Close PlayMemories Home before beginning this procedure.

1. Connect the camera to the computer.
2. Turn on the camera.
3. On the computer desktop, click the Start button.
4. In the Start menu, point to Programs or All Programs.
5. Point to PlayMemories Home.
6. Click to select PlayMemories Home Settings Initialization Tool.
7. In the PlayMemories Home Settings Initialization Tool window, click to select Restore the program to its default settings.
8. Click the Start button.

After completing the steps above launch PMH and finish the installation procedure. A welcome screen should pop open saying "Thank you for purchasing DSC-WX350", close the pop up message and you should be able to import the videos from the camera.

I didn't get the end message, but it is importing okay, so you could try this.  Let me know if it works