A7sii - much better noise levels in video vs stills

I shoot video much more than stills and have had great results. ISO performance is as expected - very good. I can happily shoot iso 12,800 looking clean. But on stills, iso 12,800 is much worse. Obvious noise which although can be cleaned up PP, is strange seeing as the video is so good. I'm aware of ETTR but was just wondering why I'm seeing a difference between video and stills.

Any ideas?

I shoot RAW only stills. Just seems strange when video is clean ay 12,800 and stills are noisy..... It's certainly not that because video "moves" it is less pronounced..... clear as day stills are worse.

When you shoot RAW stills you have to apply noise reduction in post! Try shooting stills in RAW + JPEG mode and note the difference in appearance between the two.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring it up again but I am experiencing the very same. My videos are super sharp and almost no noise at all while stills with the same ISO are sometimes super noisy and unusable, I'd better go for a 4K frame grab. Any ideas? Having NR in camera on and using the 28-70 F3.5-5.6 on A7SII

No probs bringing it up again...... I too would like some more thoughts on this. I've played around a bit but still come to the same conclusion that video is much better than stills (even jpg).

12,800 iso on video is excellent

3,200 iso on stills shows noise

12,800 iso on stills shows crazy noise.

Weird as it is touted as a low light beast - lives up to that on video but is just average in my book for stills.