Sony 70-400mm SSM II on A7R2

alastc

Has anyone tried the Sony 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM II on the A7R2?

In my switch from Canon I still kept a 7Dm2, 70-200mm F2.8 and a x2 adapter for sports (windsurfing) and wildlife.

I don't mind using one heavy A mount lens with adapter IF the quality is good.

The only tests I can see are on SLT (or what ever the A77 / A99 range is), not the A7 series, for example the DXO mark on the lens isn't too impressive, but that might be due to the body, they haven't tested it on an A7R2.

Has anyone?

I guess another option would be an A mount 70-200/2.8 and 2x adapter, but does that work with a double adapter?!?

I have the sony 70-400 G2 on my A7RM2.  I tested it informally with a target and it performed extremely well.  I tried 1.4x (Kenko) and 2x (Sigma) teleconverters with the lens and they did degrade performance at most settings but overall not bad. I am using the LAE3 adapter to utilize the camera's autofocus.  I took this combo (but not the teleconverters) to Tanzania and got spectacular shots, although focus sometimes is sometimes problematic. Usually focus was quite quick and accurate.  I want to upload a photo but they are way too large....

I have the sony 70-400 G2 on my A7RM2.  I tested it informally with a target and it performed extremely well.  I tried 1.4x (Kenko) and 2x (Sigma) teleconverters with the lens and they did degrade performance at most settings but overall not bad. I am using the LAE3 adapter to utilize the camera's autofocus.  I took this combo (but not the teleconverters) to Tanzania and got spectacular shots, although focus sometimes is sometimes problematic. Usually focus was quite quick and accurate.  I want to upload a photo but they are way too large....

I too have used the 70-400 g2 with the a7r M II and was pleased with it. I have tried with both the LAE3 and LAE4 adapter. The 3 is probably the better choice. I had tried the 4 first on a whale watch trip and tried the 3 in hopes it would be faster. No truly objective test but the three does seem faster.

You might want to consider the Sigma 150-600.  I use it with the LAE4 adapter and focus speed is very good in good light and acceptable in not so good light, and images are very sharp from 150-500mm and acceptable even at 600mm.  I was very surprised even after reading several positive reviews.  This is the only non-Sony or Zeiss autofocus native glass I have.  Image below was at 600mm and effectively was cropped to approx. 1000mm. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!