? sony gear stolen recently?

jeff

Wondering if anyone has lost a bag of Sony gear a7rii, Batis 25mm lens, etc?  There is an ad on CraigsList that seems very fishy.  The ad is located in Fredericksburg Va but the seller claims he was just out in CA.  

Just thought I would give a heads up in case someone was looking.  I know when I was robbed the help from the police was almost nill.

Guest Peter Kelly

Out of curiosity, even though I'm in a completely different country, I just had to check this out and there is not the slightest doubt in my mind that this gear is stolen.

Either that, or he is out and out bonkers!

I suppose the $800 might be a mistake and the other values mentioned are the individual asking prices, but you don't go around arranging sales transactions in 'Starbucks' if it's above board...or do you?

@JonathanStewart I am looking at the ad right now (search sony a7rii) and it is still up!  @Peter Kelly the "$800" is part of the title of the ad to attract buyers to click your details (I always do that when I sell an item then put the real price in the description),  "Starbucks" is a normal meeting place here in the washington DC area but I prefer meeting at a nearby police station now!  The fishy part is the prices are a little bit to low from a normal seller unless he really "needs" the money to go back to CA :) and the fact that the seller is not local.  But I have encountered sellers before that sells their gear very low just to switch to another system.  For expensive items like this,  I  always ask for receipts and make sure it matches a proper identification.  If the seller says it's a gift, goodluck buying that  :)

Guest Peter Kelly

Fair enough, but as I dislike 'playing games' so much I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole even if it was genuine!

I know it is each to their own, but I find putting silly prices just to attract attention objectionable and insulting. It's bad enough when businesses do it (i.e. '50% off', or 'Sale ends on Sunday'), but if ordinary people can't be straight with each other we have reached an all time low.

Guest Colin Scott Johnson

Ask for the serial number of the Batis and check it with Zeiss.

There cannot be too many of them in circulation in the US.

I own both 25 and now 85 Batis and have had them on order since they were announced at multiple stores but had to source mine from a dealer in Germany.

They have just started showing up on Amazon and Ebay at really inflated prices and almost all of these are 4 week pre-orders.