Sony A7ii Lack of App support = wasted money.

Hi does anyone know why Sony have only updated 8 of their Play Memories Camera apps to work on the A7ii?

No Time lapse, No Motion Shot, No Smooth Reflection, the list goes on.

These are all apps that I purchased for my A6000 only to find that now I've upgraded my camera my purchased apps seem to be a waste of money as they are not available.

If that's the case then why would they allow the use of Apps at all?

The App I'm missing the most is the Time Lapse one.

90% of their Apps are available on A7/S/R yet only 30% are available to the A7ii.

I purchased this app for my A7. I shouldn't have. I use my external intervalometer(good ones cost just 25-30$ max) and its much more satisfactory. I can take RAW shots, and since its full size, I can do cropping and panning and stuff.

Its a bad thing sony did not update app for A7 II, but I suggest you go ahead with the external intervalometer. Perfect investment

I purchased this app for my A7. I shouldn't have. I use my external intervalometer(good ones cost just 25-30$ max) and its much more satisfactory. I can take RAW shots, and since its full size, I can do cropping and panning and stuff.

Its a bad thing sony did not update app for A7 II, but I suggest you go ahead with the external intervalometer. Perfect investment

Yeh I was thinking of buying a intervalometer. I was not aware that the sony app could not shoot RAW, I've only made the switch to RAW since my A7ii purchase.

How many shots can you take with a intervalometer? The app allowed for 999 which was about 40s of playback at 24fps and was just about right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought several apps as soon as I got my A7.

I'm pleased that they have been enjoyed by some but I found the coding to be clunky and their usage just unpleasant.

At least Olympus gave me Art Filters that are nicely integrated and no extra cost.

Personally I'd be happy to see the Sony Apps die completely ; I dislike them that much ..  all of them!

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought Alpha 6000 and having 999 shots for TimeLapse is disaponting me. But app it self is good. i was just trying to find out if this number can be extended somehwere...???

external timeintervalometer should be solution too. but extend number in .cfg or .txt file is much easier :-D

• 1 year later...

I'm loving the time-lapse and smooth reflection apps on my A7rII. Here are a few recent shots taken with SR, which essentially gives me a ND filter for the lenses I didn't have one for.

27777267645_bde8fd5528_b.jpg

Stillaguamish River, A7rII, Samyang 14mm, Smooth Reflection 16 shots

27676686212_1f0f2ceb79_b.jpg

Stillaguamish River, A7rII, Sony 70-200mm f4, Smooth Reflection 16 shots

Those are good looking shots, but I'm not seeing

anything that requires proprietary applications. If

you enjoy some extra convenience and the price

is fair, thaz good business, but not an innovation 

that moves digital image making forward.

If anyone can recall Minolta's Custom Cards from

the Maxxum series, one can see that Sony, who in

the photo industry are the renamed continuation of

Minolta, seem to have a severe learning disability

and possible short and long term memory failure.

@Golem,

I shot with a 7000i back in the Minolta days. True that most of the custom cards were pretty much useless but I did purchase the one that had the option to rewind the roll without pulling the leader inside. In the days when changing ISO meant changing film rolls, it allowed me to rewind mid roll and swap out. When I wanted to reuse it I'd just reinsert, snap off the number of exposures (with the lens cap on) until I reached my noted exposure count. I easily saved the money I spent on the card by using the full exposure count on a roll. Prior to the card it sucked paying processing for partially exposed rolls.