No switch from NTSC to PAL...is that possible!!!

I can't believe I bought the wrong camera...I was wondering how switch it from 60 to 50i and I had to buy the a6000 at the Kindle Store...finally I realise that on the bottom of my brand new camera there is a small small small writing which makes the difference....

QUESTION: because this is just a commercial move but the hardware is the same, is there any hack or software fix to change it?

QUESTION: switching from AVCHD to MP4...the set of quality options is far less...it is limited to FullHD and VGA...Does this mean that there is no difference among the two standards? Is there a visible loss of quality in using mp4 than AVCHD...?

The Kindle book suggests to go for Mp4 which is a wider known standard, more friendly to every machine...

I had to use my video for standard HD broadcasting

Thank you
Nico

There is no way to change it via hack or software.  It's hard-wired.

Horizontal Resolution: MP4 has only 1440 horizontal pixels, whereas AVCHD has 1920, so there is some loss of quality.   MP4 would be no good for standard HD broadcast.

• 3 weeks later...

So my question is: are any modern TVs only PAL or NTSC?

I've not seen a TV, plasma or LCD in the last 10 years that couldn't do a range of different refresh rates.

So record at the best resolution and data rate possible and the TV should be able to handle it.

If the only TV device available is an old analog TV, then choosing what to record your HD videos in is the least of your worries.

Otherwise, if it were me, I'd just grade the video and output it to the desired frame rate.

Free software to do this:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/color

• 1 month later...

Correct me I am wrong but the difference between 50 and 60 frames per second also makes a difference if you are creating a movie which contains electric lights. These can be seen to flicker in the movie when using the wrong region setting.

I also choose not to record in 50i in Australia but 50p or 25p. P is for progressive and gives me more options in post-production when creating movies for Vimeo or YouTube.

Indeed that does make a difference. I *thought* the ideal was to not use the same frequency as your lights.  So 50hz in Australia is bad.  Running 50hz with 50hz fluro lights creates flicker.  Once the frequency starts matching weird things happen, banding, flickering and so on.