No fast access to M1 M2 M3 M4 on A7RV

On the A7RIV, turning the mode dial to custom 1 2 or 3 gave an opportunity to also select the M1-M4 settings stored on the card.  This no longer works on my new A7RV.  Is it just my camera, or do others have this problem?  In a way it is nice, because i now go immediately to the 1, 2, or 3 setting.  But now the 4 memory card settings (M1-M4) seem like a waste since I can only access them by navigating the menus.  I can also confirm that Sony gave us no way to add a button shortcut to memory recall (which would have been easy and nice).  It would be perfect if they added that in the next firmware.... so please ask if this interests you.   I have this feeling that Sony never adds new features in firmware, only bug fixes (else we would have no reason to upgrade, right?), but this one seems like a negligent omission.  

I have never used the M1-M4 settings because they require the card holding them to be in the camera.

I don’t have an A7RIV any more, and I really got into setting the 1/2/3 custom modes with the camera after it, so I’ve not seen the ability to load the M1-M4 settings when turning the dial - I think it would annoy me because I like the custom mode  to take immediate affect.

Maybe Sony hot feedback to the effect that people wanted the custom mode to take effect immediately?

23 hours ago, Sony captive said:

I have this feeling that Sony never adds new features in firmware, only bug fixes (else we would have no reason to upgrade, right?), but this one seems like a negligent omission.  

I can't speak about all Sony cameras, but Sony Firmware for my Sony cameras (and Minolta, by the way) all had added features -- in addition to fixes.  For example, adding "releasing the shutter w/o a card or lens", adding more steps to the EV scales, improving focusing speed, or allowing a feature to be turned OFF.  Most were modifications, not bug fixes, but a few were new features -- that required new menu items.

14 hours ago, FunWithCameras said:

I have never used the M1-M4 settings because they require the card holding them to be in the camera.

I don’t have an A7RIV any more, and I really got into setting the 1/2/3 custom modes with the camera after it, so I’ve not seen the ability to load the M1-M4 settings when turning the dial - I think it would annoy me because I like the custom mode  to take immediate affect.

Maybe Sony hot feedback to the effect that people wanted the custom mode to take effect immediately?

Perhaps.  It’s true that the instant setting selection is better, though they could have added that and other things on the IV.  And recalling a more extensive (named?) set of settings from a memory card with one button should be an easy feature to add now.  Please!

5 hours ago, XKAES said:

I can't speak about all Sony cameras, but Sony Firmware for my Sony cameras (and Minolta, by the way) all had added features -- in addition to fixes.  For example, adding "releasing the shutter w/o a card or lens", adding more steps to the EV scales, improving focusing speed, or allowing a feature to be turned OFF.  Most were modifications, not bug fixes, but a few were new features -- that required new menu items.

Fair enough.  But why not add focus bracket to previous cameras like the A1 or A7IVs instead of tying it only to new cameras?  Fingers crossed for some improvements to my new toy because I can’t afford an upgrade for years now.  

I wouldn't hope for too much "added features" from any firmware update because it has to work with the original hardware.  The most will be improvement & adjustments -- TWEEKS. 

The a900 and a850 only had one update,  The a700 and the Minolta a2 had three.

I have been wondering about the focus bracketing, and whether it uses some functionality tucked into the “magic” chip (the one Marketing labelled AI). Maybe the lens drive logic, tied to the AF at each distance logic, or something like that? Just don’t know.

We have seen some things appear in earlier models, like the appearance of the lower res lossless compressed RAW files, for example - that came as an update on the A1. 

Don’t hold your breath, though. I think there is not much chance that you will see focus bracket on cameras before the A7RV.

10 hours ago, FunWithCameras said:

We have seen some things appear in earlier models, like the appearance of the lower res lossless compressed RAW files, for example - that came as an update on the A1. 

Are you saying that the original A1 firmware did not include cRAW as a file type?

5 hours ago, XKAES said:

Are you saying that the original A1 firmware did not include cRAW as a file type?

I said LOWER RES lossless compressed RAW - the RAW-S and the RAW-M full-frame - those were added in a firmware update. That update also added the cute icon for RAW-L because it had not been needed in the original firmware.

Lossless compressed RAW was in the original release, although some processing software didn’t include it in their first release of support for the A1. I pre-ordered the A1, so I remember well the wait for support to arrive 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

On 8/30/2023 at 4:52 AM, XKAES said:

Which camera added “release shutter without card or lens” in a firmware update?

I’m curious, because that is one of the things I turn OFF during my first trip through the menus on a new camera 😉 

• 2 weeks later...