A6300 Lens choices - primes vs 16-55

I currently possess the following Sony lenses with my A6300

• 50mm f1.8
  • 16-70mm f4
  • 70-200mm f4

I've noticed that the 16-70 can be a little soft and lacking in definition in places and doesn't really hold up it's end of the bargain in the wider end given I possess the 70-200 which is very nice. I like the idea of getting outside the comfort zone with fixed primes and want to make sure whatever I get has good clarity and definition which the 16-70 doesn't really offer, albeit it was generally the best of its kind around when I bought it. 

I'm considering the following:

• 20mm f2.8 and 35mm f2.8, or
  • 16-55mm f2.8

I realise there is a stark difference in cost etc. but I'm not that concerned as it is the outcome that I seek. What I definitely trade off is the overall portability if I were to go shooting with the first two vs the zoom, slightly less so if I then cart the 50 along. What I gain is the single lens convenience with no changes required, which could be handy depending on weather and location. The zoom, from what I've seen in reviews, can effectively replace just about any prime I could get in the 16-55mm range it's quality genuinely seems that good.

My question is: 3 primes vs 1 more expensive zoom, which trade-off do you take?

Edit: Can someone move this to the relevant topic - I had two tabs open and it ended up in full frame by mistake?

Edited by hungryhorse16
request

I started off with a "Standard Zoom" but now tend to carry and use Manual primes for the quality of image.

By using the reputable 2nd hand market, I have been able to pick up a 15mm f2 Laowa (zero distortion), Zeiss Loxia 35mm f2 and a Voightlander 50mm f2.

I use these for landscapes on my A7Rii and sometimes on my A6500. If I'm going into the city, the 35mm goes on my A6500.

The A6*** range can also use the smaller Zeiss Touit range of primes.

I would not buy primes at the cheap end of the range - I was quite disappointed with my Sony 12mm pancake lens.

I have the 16-55 and a bunch of great quality primes. The 16-55 is on my camera 95% of the time. Only for very specific use cases I swap it for a prime (12 mm for ultra wide, 24mm f/1.8 for dark indoor scenario's, 56mm f/1.4 for portraiture). Really happy with the quality of the zoom.

If portability is a prime concern, do consider the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8: optically almost on par with the Sony 16-55 but much smaller and cheaper.

Thanks for that info Pieter, very helpful. My concern was partly that I’d get the primes then not like having to carry them all rather than have a one lens grab and go.

There’s still something to be said for taking a single prime and developing your craft - something I need to start doing.

1 hour ago, hungryhorse16 said:

There’s still something to be said for taking a single prime and developing your craft - something I need to start doing.

Very true. I like my 24mm f/1.8 for that purpose. Very versatile focal length and what I notice is that, while the fixed focal length forces me to move around to get the composition I want, this moving actually makes me much more aware of the influence I have on the framing. The shots I take with that lens are more thought out.