Help decide about the A7Rii

I recently bought a used A7R and I really like it!  There are some tings I don't like about it as much as I like those things that the mark ii has however.  This being the case, I am leaning toward selling both my A7R and my Nikon D800 and acquiring the A7R ii.  Will I be making a mistake doing so?

Here are some of my thoughts:

The D800 has about the same size sensor/detector as the A7R (it may even be the SAME sensor in fact - but that is not really relevant).  And the

Nikon system includes some pretty nice glass with vibration reduction (but the body does not).

The A7R also has the big sensor and is a lot lighter and somewhat smaller than the D800.  I also actually like the Sony menu system even though I have used Nikons for years and should have gotten used to their menu system by now.

The A7R ii has an even bigger sensor, an (apparently) more sensitive ISO range, an in-body vibration reduction system, considerably better video capabilities, a stronger lens mount than the A7R, and a number of other features that I like (some like the A7R).

So given these characteristics (and the price of the A7R ii), I am considering selling the D800 and the A7R to acquire the A7R ii.  Would this be a major mistake?

Thanks,

Basically it depends on what you shoot. I have always shot with Canon and bought the A7R when it came out then the A7 ii and now have the A7R ii. I was doing a commercial shoot about two months ago for the which was split between set up shots and reportage shots on the fly and had to keep switching between the A7 ii and the Canon 5D iii depending on if I was shooting with native Sony lenses or Canon lenses and wether it was still and set up or on the go. I could of done the whole shoot with either of the lenses if it had all been the staged shots but needed to fall back on the Canon for when speed of focus on Canon lenses was required. Now with the A7R ii I will have a little more control but with a quick test indoors with the Canon 70-200mm F2.8 ii I can say that it struggled when the light was less than perfect so won't sell the 5d yet! I can certainly say that the A7R ii will give you far more keepers due to the better focus, steady shot sensor and better shutter dampening so that in itself has made it worthwhile. It is also way easier than a DSLR to get correct focus due to the EVF in fact I realise that swapping back to the Canon made me realise I had got sloppy about working out the best exposure without being able to see a live preview as I always shoot RAW in manual mode. You wont need to keep chimping to check your exposure.

So basically, if you don't need that speed of autofocus I would swap over as it will lighten your weight and give you better files, certainly so when Sony give us a firmware update that allows for uncompressed RAW. Think of loosing the autofocus on your Nikon lenses but gaining in body stabilisation for less need for a tripod...up to a point!!

Cheers

I am using a Pentax APS-C sensor camera, was planning to go up, to a Nikon 750 FF sensor, but nowadays I realized that I really don't like to carry that much weight in my backpack.

That's why I am here, started looking for Sony mirrorless cameras.

The Pentax is said to be suffering from slow AF sometimes; I can feel that occasionally too. I am trying to understand whether it's gonna be the same with a Sony after the Pentax.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk